Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-dc1088nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

My laptop was configured with a 16gb 2666Mhz ram module, and I decided to add in another module with the same frequency and size. It seems to be running at 2400Mhz and I wanted to know why that was.Capture3.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Seiche 

When you matched the timings, did you use CPU-Z and read all the timings from the original stick before purchasing the Samsung stick? If they do not match exactly, you will have issues like down clocking and a failure to run in dual channel mode. Looking at the SPD tab, they don't match.

If you did in fact match the total timings, then those two sticks just aren't going to play well together. This is why I always suggest purchasing a matched pair.

Like this example.....

mem timings cpuz.JPG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Seiche 

When you matched the timings, did you use CPU-Z and read all the timings from the original stick before purchasing the Samsung stick? If they do not match exactly, you will have issues like down clocking and a failure to run in dual channel mode. Looking at the SPD tab, they don't match.

If you did in fact match the total timings, then those two sticks just aren't going to play well together. This is why I always suggest purchasing a matched pair.

Like this example.....

mem timings cpuz.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @Photoray002,

Thanks for your input! Actually, the Samsung was the original module installed on the system. I just flipped them in the event that I replaced the stock one with a faster one later on. I got a Kingston module that was a bit faster, thinking that it'd just slow down to match the latency on the Samsung. I'm wondering why it's hitting 2400 performance when both are 2666, though.

HP Recommended

Ya either way, samsung or kingston wont matter.  But even though both equal 2666, the timings are not the same and thus the system will down clock them as a whole and you get that lower number. They wont run in dual channel either.

You mentioned getting a faster set later? Know that if you intend on going over 2666 Mhz, the motherboard will still down clock them and most likely, it will still hit 2400 in the end. HPs cannot run overclocked ram and there is no settings in the bios to change that. The bios is locked.

I've also seen various name brands not work at the rated speeds of 2666 because they had a lower SPD rating at boot. If they do, the HP motherboard might keep them running at that lower speed.

The only sure way I have found to go around this, is to use Crucial brand ram that their memory finder shows as compatible. If theirs doesn't work, they offer a 100% money back guarantee.

Here is the link if you're interested... https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-omen-15-dc1088nr

HP Recommended

Huh. CPU-Z says they're running on dual channel, though.(In the screenshot!) Strange, that. Oh, I meant getting a better 2666Mhz module with better latencies than the Samsung but with the same frequencies. What's strange is even if they're not running dual channel(though they seem to be), they should both still be 2666Mhz as the Kingston has a baseline of 2666Mhz unlike the Ballistix that requires XMP to hit 2666Mhz. The device came with the 2666Mhz module so I figured that that was what the motherboard was configured for.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me.

HP Recommended

No problem, hope it helped.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.