Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

655F2A86-7464-4168-A0A7-97FCA467A30F.jpeg

I’m trying to upgrade my processor but the screw head seems to be damaged and I can’t remove it with my screwdriver. This is my first time trying to remove it. Is there any other way to remove without having to take it to a shop?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

That looks like a M.2 solid state drive to me, not a processor.

On most of today's notebooks made in the last 5 years or so, you can't upgrade the processor.

They are soldered to the motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thanks,

must of gotten it confused, I mean to upgrade/change the ssd. I’ve seen videos of people removing it. Is it still possible in the state it is in? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looks pretty bad.

Do you have a small flat blade screwdriver that will fit between each side of the philips head screw.

Sometimes you can wedge one in there and force the screw to come loose.

You need a lot of leverage.  The longer the shaft and handle, the better.

The next thing to try after that would be some needle-nose pliers on the outside edge of the screw to see if you can turn it that way.

HP Recommended

Really appreciate your help.

Pliers do sound like the best bet, but I don’t want to risk damaging anything.

I’ll see what I can do. 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

There is nothing on that end of the SSD that will be damaged if you scratch it a little with the edge of the pliers.

Good luck!  You'll get it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.