Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen i7 8750H GTX 1060
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I know that the latest 15 inch HP Omen with GTX 1060 has a 144Hz screen with G Sync
But does it support NVIDIA Optimus too?
Can I switch to internal graphics when not playing games to save battery life?
Can't find any links for this...
Plz help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
To my knowledge 2018 DC models don't come with Intel graphics. So you will be running on the installed Nvidia card the entire time. This is a good thing as it means you avoid the NVidia Optimus Switching bug.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@my68tron

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I have gone through your Post and I would like to assist

May I know which HP Omen Model are you referring to?

Please provide me with the complete Model or the Product Number

You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating the Product Number.

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
I'm from India and here's the model no. with all the specs I can remember
HP Omen 15 dc-0106-tx

i7 8750H
16GB 2.6GHz Ram
15.6" FHD 144Hz IPS Anti Glare Display
128GB PCIe NVMe SSD + 1 TB 7.2k rpm HDD
GTX 1060 6GB
70 WHr 4 cell Battery
HP Recommended

@my68tron

Thanks for keeping me posted

The Notebook you mentioned has the NVIDIA N17E-G1 (GeForce GTX 1060) Graphics Card and this Graphics Card support G-Sync only

You can refer to this Nvidia Link: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/optimus/supported-gpus?field_gpu_type_value=All for a list of Optimus Supported GPUs

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
It does not support NVIDIA Optimus means that the display is directly connected to GFX and not to internal motherboard graphics.
Is that what you wanna say?
Are the external display ports also connected to GFX only?
HP Recommended
To my knowledge 2018 DC models don't come with Intel graphics. So you will be running on the installed Nvidia card the entire time. This is a good thing as it means you avoid the NVidia Optimus Switching bug.
HP Recommended

It's a bad thing, as the battery life goes down from maybe 7-8 hours to only three hours. 

I absolutely don't understand why they made this decision. I don't need fancy small bezels and less weight when I'm not able to use this machine as a mobile solution. 

It's pretty annoying 😕

HP Recommended

You were never going to get 7-8 hours on this laptop, you're living in a dream world.

If you want good battery life, don't buy a gaming laptop. Simple. Some gaming laptops are better than the Omen with battery life, but in general gaming laptop battery life is s**t because you have components that weren't designed with power saving as the primary consideration.

HP Recommended

If GL504GM can reach even 6 h with smaller battery, we definitely could get nearly 7 h on HP Omen 2018 with the same specs.

To see the difference, from notebookcheck about the same case in Asus:

„Additionally, the GL504GM includes Nvidia Optimus for more power savings and a longer battery life when not gaming. Our tests have shown that the system can last for almost 6 hours compared to less than 2.5 hours on the GL504GS when subjected to similar WLAN loads.”

HP Recommended

I've gotten nearly 5 hours out of my Omen, and you would too if you're not gaming. No gaming laptop will give you 6 hours if you're gaming.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.