Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17t-an000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To who may concern.

I want to buy an external monitor for my Laptop which is pretty old by now.. I wonder if I can pull this off at all??
My laptop was a build to order so there isnt any official Spec Data I can find at all  in HP Website to clarify which hardware I got so this is why I am asking here.

My Laptop is an OMEN 17 (Late 2018) model with the 7700HQ and 1060GTX.Product name is listed as "17t-an000 CTO". 
It does have Thunderbolt Logo on the USB-C port but I cant find ANY INFO whatsoever about the hardware capability and connections I can make (Or what type of USB-C is at all). I also found the Intel driver for "Thunderbolt Software" which is version 17.3.74.11 for the App and 17.3.74.9 for the Service Version if that helps.

Basically I just want a bigger monitor that I can mount on a swivel arm for comfort, The monitor I want is G-Sync compatible which is basically why I want to plug it in with USB-C to Display Port cable. 

Thanks for any assistance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Skirmich 

Looks like NO, machine is 4 years old by now. Please check the following article

https://www.pcworld.com/article/617097/usb-c-and-adaptive-sync-do-g-sync-and-freesync-work-over-usb-...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Skirmich 

Looks like NO, machine is 4 years old by now. Please check the following article

https://www.pcworld.com/article/617097/usb-c-and-adaptive-sync-do-g-sync-and-freesync-work-over-usb-...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! 

I ended up buying the monitor anyway and confirmed that nope. It wont connect over USBC but luckily GSYNC ended up working via Mini-DP! so I am now using it like I wanted to. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.