Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17t-an100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an OMEN 17t-an100 CTO in early MAY, and received it on the 20th of May. After discovering quite a slew of issues, I contacted support several times, and then it was sent back for repairs. That took approximately a week. Now it's the 21st of June. The repairs that were request have all be done as stated so this I believe this isn't an error of repair nor an error of hardware, just to clarify and the repairs were done properly and well.

Now, I have undervolted the i7-8750H processor to -0.140v and it was running well throughout many tasks on the 19th and the 20th. It was still on the hot side, about 86°C usually, however it was tolerable. Today however it was very unstable, now requiring me to move the offset back upward to -0.030v, no Windows updates occurred or driver updates... the reason I undervolted was to combat the extreme overheating issues this laptop faces, however as I've had to regress the offset back closer to 0, thus defeating my attempts at prolonging the CPU's life and reducing the constant thermal throttling.

Whilest running Forza Horizon 3, on medium settings, locked at 43FPS (though the GPU is capable of a full 144FPS and even the 74FPS, the CPU isn't as you'll soon learn.) During which the CPU skyrockets to 97°C and sits there, this causing the fan to sound as if that is all it can do to cool it down (approximately 4100 to 4200rpms which I believe is the maximum speed of the fans). Playing GTA V locked at 74FPS (Half V-Sync) yields about 95°C on high settings. This is very close to the maximum T-Junction temperature of 100°C, and it obviously isn't good on a CPU.

During the aforementioned repairs this laptop has sustained, the CPU, GPU, Fans, Heat Sink, Thermal Compound(s), Battery, and Motherboard have been replaced. However the overheating persists greatly.

Is there any way to fix this? I use a cooling pad, the ambient room temperature is about 69°F-73°F. There isn't any dust as it's brand new, but obviously these overheating issues are completely unacceptable along with the extraordinarily loud fan (reminds me of a turbo jet turbine on a commercial jet liner). Another thing I notice is the metal above the "F5" through "F8" keys is extraordinarily hot to the touch... with the amount of heat on the case I worry it will damage other things inside the laptop.

Yes my Windows version is up to date (1809, as 1903 isn't compatible with my machine according to the message in the settings app).
Yes my driver are up to date (1809).

HELP.
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@GSynergy
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there anyone in the community here that can shed some light on this at all? The system is now exhibiting symptoms of degradation. The machine simply crashes, not triggering a BSoD, but simply just hanging for about 15 seconds, then shutting off before attempting to turn on again, then before bootup the Optane decides to rebuild the file database (some nonsense with Intel Optane) before booting up (very very slowly) again. This occurs both under load, and not under load at very random intervals.

HP Recommended

Restart your computer and go to SETTINGS. Find the FAN option and set it to DYNAMIC. The hotter your computer and the more active your CPU is, the higher the fan speed will be. If the CPU is static and the computer is cool, the fan will be silent.

Duck Grobbelaar
HP Recommended

Unfortunately there isn't a "FAN" option in "Settings"... The is a fan option under the BIOS Settings, however that is to only force the fan to be on all the time, or allow it to turn off and on (which I found to be very useless and annoying seeing the temperatures go up to near 100°C before the fans can even spin up fast enough to take care of the issue.)

To clarify further, where is this setting you refer to? I check the Omen Command Centre and there isn't any settings, except for the network and the macros... 

HP Recommended

try using  omen command center comfort option still its not normal tjhat even with undervolting to -140 the cpu sits on 97º 

HP Recommended

My OMEN Command Center doesn't have a "Comfort Option" as my moden (17t-anxxx) doesn't have the Performance options. Only System Vitals, Macros, and Network. 

HP Recommended

That setting is not useless. The on/off setting is what you have to select. This is the Dynamic Fan setting I was talking about. I am using it as my computer is very active and my computer is cool now and not hot. Yes, that little fan is VERY powerful as it's sitting right over the BIOS. So if the temperature is very high you will HEAR the fan, but if the temperature is cooler, then the fan will be softer or even off if the temperature is within the normal range.

Try it for one day. If your computer doesn't cool down, put the fan on always on - just beware of the noise level of the fan when it is always on!

Duck Grobbelaar
HP Recommended

It doesn't help. If its set to AUTO the machine overheats and then the fan lags trying to spin up to speed thus causing the CPU to exceed 99°C until the fan turns on at maximum speed. With Continuously On, it also doesn't help thermal situation when it begins to overheat either, however during idling (absolutely no load) it stays a cool 31°C.

The FAN(s) maximum speed is 4200rpm... once it reaches that speed it cannot go any faster as it isn't capable. at maximum speed the FAN(s) sound as if the computer is about to either explode or burst into flames .... in my case my laptop reaches 99°C and then the FAN(s) speed up to the max, and it is still unable to cool down past 97°C under load even with fans at maximum capacity. 

--UPDATE AS OF 7/2/2019--

The overheating has become slightly worse, the HDD is also showing signs of wear with an odd Head Clunk sound that I have only heard twice in the span of 3 days, but SMART data reads all clear. System hangs and crashes with undervolting, and occasionally without.

HP Recommended

That only means the computer is faulty. Book a replacement under warranty or get a new computer if out of warranty. Sorry.

Duck Grobbelaar
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.