Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-Cx0009ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
I just wanted to know if manually controlling the fan speed, or just maximizing it, was possible in hp laptops. I just feel that CoolSense doesn't do the trick. Also, I know that the fan never reaches its maximum. For example, when while updating my BIOS, the laptop maximizes the fan to the maximum, and it can be easily differentiated from the normal fan and air flow. I have tried multiple software like speed fan, and it didn't allow me to change anything. So, can we ever alter the hp laptops' fans speed manually, or are we prohibited by hp from doing so?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello again @NVW 

I should have expanded more on the fan in the other thread perhaps. But unfortunately no, HPs are a very locked down system and there is no way of controlling the fan speed in the laptop. 

I assume you are going to contact HP for a warranty issue anyways and I would discuss the heat issue also. Maybe they can try a re-paste on the CPU. Otherwise, your only other method of controlling CPU heat is through a 3rd party program like Throttlestop or Intel's XTU (free downloads). You would use that to undervolt the CPU and that would bring the heat down. The reduction of energy reduces the heat output from the CPU. You take a minor performance hit, but not by much. 

That is the best I can offer. Hope that helps a little.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.