Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a hp omen 15 (ryzen 5 and gtx 1050ti) . Whenever i turn on my laptop the fan starts at low speed but it is always ON, even if you are not doing anything.

It is becoming more annoying day by day.

Please help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

The fan on your laptop will always be running, this is normal for any computer. If the fan wasn't running, your computer would immediately shut down and overheat which will then could cause damage. So unfortunate as it is annoying. There is nothing you can do about it. 

if it is excessively loud, that might be due to some dust or something clogging the fan. Which then can be cleaned out, to solve the noise problem. Or it could just be a loud laptop. anyway I hope this answers your question. and your happy with what I told you.

Please give thumbs up if your Happy with this.

Thanks 

Terran. 

HP Recommended

Hi Terran, a laptop fan should NOT be running when the temps are below 40, and if you're just doing some light browsing. My omen fan turns on just when I'm writing in a word doc, and no other laptop I have does this. If this is the level of response hp is giving then it makes my decision to return or wait for an update much easier. will be returning it today!

HP Recommended

Check in the BIOS, there should be an option to disable the always on fan

HP Recommended

Thanks Niko, that was the first thing I tried, and it was already off when I went into bios - I tried turning it on and off again and nothing changed. Still idle fan noise. 

HP Recommended

If there is no air emitting from the air vents, then it could be your mechanical HDD (Hard Disk Drive) spinning rather than the fan. 

If it is the fan but the "Fan Always ON" BIOS setting is disabled, you may need to reset the BIOS and/or upgrade the BIOS if an upgrade is available on your device specific driver download page.  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers   Please follow the directions on HP's official Driver Support page (if your country/region is NOT the United States, please change it under the "Printer" product button on this page.)

Please note, that the fan system in select models may use an intelligent chip (Embedded Controller) that will predict when a load may be coming by monitoring temperatures/CPU Loads/GPU Loads/ect, and attempt to spin up the fan before the load is in progress. There's also a chance that the BIOS EC (Embedded Controller) firmware needs to be upgraded, this comes as a part of a BIOS upgrade package.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I only have an SSD and no HDD, so it can't be that - I also feel the air coming out of the vents. Bios is the latest f.07 and all the drivers have been updated. It may be the final suggestion, it is a new omen amd ryzen 7 - but if that is the case then I don't think there is a solution if it isn't conceived as a problem on hp's end. Very unfortunate since I love everything else about the laptop but the sound is unbearable when trying to just write in a word document.

Just some more info: I've already put the power setting to power saver, have put cooling into passive, have turned of turbo boosts, and tried both comfort and default performance levels. The fan still turns on when both the cpu and gpu temps are around 35-40.

HP Recommended

Anyone find any solutions? I have an hp ryzen all in one and it's the same **bleep** firmware issue. The fan in build does not even have a setting to control the fan speed.  Based on lack of responses from hp on several such threads..I think we got screwed big time with his failed experiment of their configuration

HP Recommended

Sorry you're having the same problem! I actually returned the laptop and got a lenovo legion 5 and don't have this problem at all. good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.