Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17t-an100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a gaming laptop HP OMEN 17t-an100. It has GTX 1070 and Intel Core I7 8750h. The laptop runs pretty well, but it can be easily overheated. The reason the laptop overheats is that the fans are terribly optimized. PLEASE LET US CONTROL FAN SPEED ON BOTH FANS!!!! The CPU hits 95 degrees celsius before the fans start to work properly. I do not care that the gpu fan is always slower than the cpu fan, but the fact that UNDERVOLTED cpu is overheating just because the bios fan control sucks. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT???? Just let your customers control the fan speed or make it work properly.... I have tried every bios available and they all prefer low noise level before the heat.... ITS A GAMING LAPTOP!!! NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE NOISE!!!! I would rather have max 80 degrees celcius and loud laptop that overheating silent beast.....

Conclusion: Add fan control to HP OMEN 17t-an100 and show that you care about your customers.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@paulacino , welcome to the forum.

You make some very valid points!  The problem is, HP knows that many of their customers aren't as saavy as you.  Therefore, adding too many controls can cause them nightmares.  Have you tried SpeedFan to see if it would control the fans?  It is a fairly comprehensive app for this purpose.  I don't know if the fans have three pins or if the motherboard will allow fan control.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I have tried NoteBook FanControl and Speedfan. Unfortunately, none of them work. Laptops usually have limited options when it comes to fan speed control. HP does not have to give us the option to completely control the fan, just give us the option to force the fans to work at its maximal speed. EVERY SINGLE COMPANY HAS DONE IT! Every single company has a control software where you can change modes (Fan speeds). HP has this thing called Command Center that is completely useless because they basically do not care at all. It would literally take them 30 minutes to put this option there... Selling a gaming laptop with completely locked bios without any option to unlock it is just stupid (Check out MSI, they have done a great job when it comes to BIOS, etc.). People who do not know anything about computers would not use it and people who actually know stuff and want to utilize the maximal potential of the machine would just customize the setting they want to adjust.

Option #1: Add Turbo fan mode so people can turn it on every time they need it. (Btw, the fact that GPU fan is 75% of the time pretty much inactive is another funny thing...)

Option #2: Give us an option to unlock bios and adjust a few settings.

HP Recommended

@paulacino,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ive been posting about the fan control here since around december and theres been no improvement regardless of the bios update. i have the omen 15 with i7 8750h and 1070 max q and never have i ever questioned my buy so much as this product. the laptop runs great but the thermal management is so bad. ive undervolted my cpu, changed my thermal paste, brought down my turbo but it still tries its best to be a frying pan than a laptop. gonna try out the kryonaught soon (around next month) to hopefully get better temps coz ive given up on hp to give us the fan control. its such a small thing and people have been complaining about this for a long time but still hp doesnt want to do anything to fix this. never buying from hp again ever. sadly ive to live with this laptop for some time before i can thing of selling it. the command center is another sad story. the recent start up sound is horrendous. and the time it takes to open up is stupid honestly. oh also the DEDICATED OCC button on the keyboard doesnt work and i dont think can be remapped either which makes it practically useless. this product could be great but hp doesnt want it to beor  simply doesnt care i suppose. 

HP Recommended

When you play on a laptop, your laptop needs the fan to be on. The fan keeps the laptop from overheating and damaging hardware. You can block some of the noise by putting on headphones. Apart from that, theres not much you can do. I’ve heard about software that gives you the option to turn off a fan, but you should never do this as you will damage your laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.