Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer has worked perfectly the fast year or so. No crashes, errors, nothing. Then, I start up my computer today, to which I'm greeted with a black screen saying my hard drive has an iminent failure (F2 for diagnostics and ENTER for normal startup). I go to diagnostics, run the hard drive test, and my short DST has failed the test. So, I exit out and start up my computer as normal. Nothing erroneous or noticeable so far. I use CommandPrompt to try and scan/check/fix my drive using chkdsk and my drive is a NTFS and thus cannot be locked because of another 'volume' in process. So, I go to some other tools on the control panel to scan my drive and such for errors, and it says there are no errors on my hard drive. I go to system restore and restore to a save point yesterday and the computer said restore was successful. However, the black error screen for the dst failure still pops up. At this point, I am not sure what to do. I am so pissed and angry and sad this error occurred out of nowhere, and I have no clue as to how to fix the issue unless I buy another hard drive, which I definitely don't want to do. Please help. Should I reinstall windows/reset my computer, buy a new hard drive, etc.? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@BEN639 I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.