Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15 dc1040nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I bought the HP omen 15 dc1040 nr 9 months ago, back then i had noticed heating issues with this machine, the CPU temperatures went as high as 97 degrees where as the GPU temps remained in 80-85 degree range. Gaming on it was fine though , I could run any AAA title at high/ultra with 60+ fps. 

The issue with this machine now is that the GPU as well as CPU temps go above 90 degrees and the games run fine till the gpu crosses 87 degree mark, then the clock speeds go down from 1300+ Mhz to 385 MHz and fps drops to 10-15. This is unacceptable for a laptop that costs over 1600 dollars. 

Current Win 10 build is 1909

Bios version is F.16 

Nvidia driver version 445.75

I have tried everything, from updating all the drivers to undervolting the laptop but nothing seems to work. The temperatures on both CPU & GPU hit the 90 degree mark on load and lies between 55-65 on both while idling.

Please help me resolve this problem as soon as possible!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@omen15_2020 Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an Intel CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry: Click here to go through the CPU specifications, look under Tjunction of the CPU, it supports up to 100°C.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It didn't work, the temperatures still shoot above 90 degrees on the CPU and the graphics card as well and performance drops drastically. We are talking about RTX 2070 Max-Q here, it should be able to handle games at high settings. But I did lower the graphics settings as you asked me to do @Riddle_Decipher and it didn't work. 

Sorry for the late response.

HP Recommended

@omen15_2020 If none of that worked, this could be a hardware malfunction and I suggest you perform a hardware test to identify the same:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.