Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP 15-ax202na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As above, I have a HP OMEN 15-ax202na which is slowly degrading since the battery is holding less and less charge. Currently at just 34% when plugged in and will not charge higher. Diagnostic says:

"The battery is reporting a failure and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. Based on the age of your PC and battery, it appears it is no longer covered by your HP Warranty.
REOOW"

So I need a new battery. How do I find which model I need and where can I purchase it? I've looked around but answering that question doesn't seem straightforward. Also am I ok to install the replacement myself? I've been able to upgrade the RAM so I'm not afraid to go in there & change bits out, but equally the battery is not the easily removable kind.

P.S. Also for what it's worth I've tried a tonne of the usual troubleshooting steps usually posted by battery issues on these forums so please don't copy paste those, I just need to find where to get a replacement from.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Alright, I got this sorted so incase anyone ever has to replace the battery in the UK let me tell you what I did:

1) I called HP Support, who confirmed the part I was looking for was correct (even though I didn't ask and already knew this) then sent me to...
2) HP Sales team, who said they don't sell parts of computers unless your in warranty or something (I knew I wasn't and said this lots but got sent to them anyway) But they sent me to...
3) HP Spare parts (Or maybe it's not HP themselves, idk), who told me they don't sell parts to domestic customers, only businesses, so they sent me to...
4) A company called Stuff UK, who did have the battery! Although they also sent me to their website because they can't do orders over the phone.

So if anyone ends up finding this thread, and is a UK domestic customer who knows *exactly* what component you need, may I point you directly to this website, which should probably have what you need: https://www.stuff-uk.net/home.aspx

Typing in your part number to the search bar should bring up the battery or component you're looking for. Idk if this is the cheapest / most reliable etc. but I know it works and it's what HP will eventually send you to, so its as close to official as you'll find.

Thanks to all who helped me figure everything out!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can easily replace the battery on your unit, is very accessible.

You can find the part numbers of the batteries used on this model you have, there are 2 types of battery 3 and 4 cells, so you can check what is the battery you have and then you have the part number listed on your unit manual, see below a copy paste from the same.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357609.pdf 

Battery
3 cell prismatic battery - 61.5 Whr (5360 mAh), for use with products with Intel 6th generation processors or Intel 7th generation processors with AMD Radeon hybrid graphics - 849910-850

4 cell polymer battery - 63.3 Whr (4175 mAh), for use with products with Intel 7th generation processors, not supported with AMD Radeon hybrid graphics - 905277-855

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

Thank you, I believe based on this I have the 4-cell battery and have screenshotted the install instructions. Can you recommend a good place to source this battery from to ensure it's new & of good quality? A quick search reveals there are a few outlets with prices running from £50 - £95 ish, but not all sites are well reviewed. An official HP source would be ideal. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

The best thing for you to do is to either contact HP Contact Center for UK support, they can maybe send you to HP Sales team, and from there, i think you can buy an HP Battery. Hope everything goes fine with you, since i think might help you out! 😄 

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

Alright, I got this sorted so incase anyone ever has to replace the battery in the UK let me tell you what I did:

1) I called HP Support, who confirmed the part I was looking for was correct (even though I didn't ask and already knew this) then sent me to...
2) HP Sales team, who said they don't sell parts of computers unless your in warranty or something (I knew I wasn't and said this lots but got sent to them anyway) But they sent me to...
3) HP Spare parts (Or maybe it's not HP themselves, idk), who told me they don't sell parts to domestic customers, only businesses, so they sent me to...
4) A company called Stuff UK, who did have the battery! Although they also sent me to their website because they can't do orders over the phone.

So if anyone ends up finding this thread, and is a UK domestic customer who knows *exactly* what component you need, may I point you directly to this website, which should probably have what you need: https://www.stuff-uk.net/home.aspx

Typing in your part number to the search bar should bring up the battery or component you're looking for. Idk if this is the cheapest / most reliable etc. but I know it works and it's what HP will eventually send you to, so its as close to official as you'll find.

Thanks to all who helped me figure everything out!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.