Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
HP Recommended
HP Gaming 15 - EC2010CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new:

HP Gaming 15 - EC2010CA

• Windows 10  Home
  • AMD® Ryzen™ 5 5600H
  • 8GB DDR4-3200 RAM
  • 512GB NVMe SSD
  • 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 60hz
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3050 graphics 4GB
  • Wi-Fi 6 + Bluetooth 5.2
  • Backlit keyboard

My issue is the FPS is horrible in CS: GO (5-20 FPS), super laggy, all graphics settings on low or very low. I verified the Integrity of game files too. DOOM Eternal will barely give any frames on just the log-in/main menu. I haven't tried any other games yet but I have XBOX Game Pass and want to get this issue fixed.

When I first fired up the laptop, Windows Update did it's thing, I know it updated the BIOS to F.15. It updated the nVidia Drivers to 2021-11-09, 30.0.14.9676, it updated the AMD software.

I don't know if anything was updated for the Ryzen 5600H Radeon graphics drivers, currently 2021-04-23, 27.20.15002.11002

I'm not sure if these are the HP drivers or the drivers from Nvidia or AMD website drivers. I tried installing the HP Nvidia and HP AMD Cezanne drivers but Device Manager showed no change in driver version. A scan from the HP Driver Support detection states I don't need anything updated.

I noticed that my system didn't seem to effectively switch to the RTX 3050 according to task manager, still drawing from the AMD Radeon Graphics(GPU 1) and RTX 3050(GPU 0) but barely utilizing the 3050.  In CS:GO frames would jump from 5 fps - 113 fps, averaging 5 fps-25 fps and drops back down constantly. Barely using any RTX 3050 GPU memory as well.

So, I tried disabling the AMD Radeon Graphics (GPU 1) in Device Manager(no option in BIOS), this caused CS:GO to hit a constant 19fps with drops to 4fps when the action picked up on screen, never going higher than 20fps, with a lot of screen tearing on the top half of the screen. The RTX 3050 GPU utilization would max out around 40-45% usage and 1GB GPU Memory. In my opinion it was a much worse experience than with the AMD Radeon graphics enabled.

I set all the Nvidia control panel profiles to use the high performance nVidia processor for CS:GO as well.

So, I'm basically frustrated at this point. I watched a YouTube video from the Toasty Bros who reviewed a similar HP Gaming 15 laptop with a GTX 1650 and could not get it to run the 1650 at all after updating the drivers. They said they had to completely re-install windows and update drivers again, then all the games ran smoothly.

I have also Reset My PC to factory settings and tried the HP drivers and got the same results as described above. According to what was detected from HP software and driver support, I was confused as to why there are two different AMD HD Graphics Drivers, 2 AMD HD Graphics - Cezanne drivers and 2 different Nvidia Graphics drivers. I honestly was not 100% sure on which ones are best to install. 

I feel like there is something that is missing beyond just a graphics driver. Something to do with the GPU switching, I'm no expert so I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. All I know is that according to RTX 3050 laptop reviews I've watched and read this laptop should be doing much much better than what I'm experiencing. I've found and read of GPU switching issue solutions for Intel/nVidia based systems but nothing for AMD 5000H series / Nvidia RTX so far. 

Any insight or a nudge in the right direction would be very helpful. Thank you for your time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.