Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 en-0037ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been recently checking CPU temp on my laptop while gaming/coding or even cpu stress testing. 

My rig supports a Ryzen 7 4800h (boosts upto 4.2GHz) with an RTX 2060. I've been monitoring using Omen gaming hub and HWinfo64.

I've found that, upon running any cpu stress test or game as such(at med-high setting), sometimes temp stays constant at 100°C. Upon running Cinebench r23, I found the temp reached 108°C once and then comes down to 90-95 and then again spikes to 100+. I've tried everything, from thermal repasting, cleaning vents, resetting the laptop. Nothing seems to work.

My question is, it this normal for the CPU to rise to about +100°C and then come down to 90 then again spike to 100+ or should I connect to the HP support. 

P.S. I use a decent laptop cooler, tried in max fan mode while in performance/default mode but that doesn't help as well. Only when plugging out the charger, it cuts off the power, hence, capping performance and maintains the temp below 90.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Souparna 

That is very normal for an Omen machine, it may run up to over 95°C and using over 150W. Did you try to touch a 100W light globe after 5 mins ? Please use the following tips to keep it cooler

https://www.gamingscan.com/how-to-keep-your-laptop-cool-while-gaming/

https://techusersguide.com/keep-laptop-cool-gaming/

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

I agree with you on the point that Omen Laptop powered by R7 4800h and Rtx 2060, running at and little over 90°C is normal. However, I've also noticed, while recording a log for CPU temperature, that the max Temp was recorded at 109°c during a Multicore Cinebench R23 benchmark. Although it didn't stay constantly at 109° and the cooling system eventually brought it town to 98-100° but again it rose to 103-105°C.

Last time when I was playing Witcher 3 at simple high settings recorded a maximum temperature of 106°C(Ryzen 7 4800 should work fine at and below 105°C as mentioned in AMD website.). I'm just saying that, while playing, the HP gaming hub records a constant 99-104°C(at medium-high settings for moderately graphics demanding game). Now the GPU temp is mostly normal during these circumstances.

In idle condition, when settings are at performance mode with max fan settings, the temp is always above 60 and near about 70-75°. Is this normal too?

All I was asking that, is it normal for an omen laptop of such specs to reach a certain maximum temperature of 109°C with an average of 95°C (calculated through the log recording session) and 60-70° when idle at performsnce mode or should I connect with the customer care for a resolution. 

Thanks again for your help

HP Recommended

ciao io avevo lo stesso tuo problema quando giocavo perchè il processore va in turbo boost in automatico e sfrutta tutta la potenza che non serve prova a fare così:

vai in inpostazioni risparmio energetico, sulla scritta prestazioni massime  processore trovi 2 voci con 100% le devi impostare a 99% e applica, mi raccomando quelle consigliate da hp poi in basso a destra su batteria devi mettere se non impostato la spunta impostazioni batteria a normale, in questo modo il processore non entra più in turbo boost riscaldando di meno e avendo sempre le stesse prestazioni in gioco e la ventola la troverai senza base di raffreddamento a 2600 rpm max 3000 in gioco e le temperature arriveranno raramente a 70 spero di esserti stato di aiuto.

HP Recommended

Hey @angelo98 !

Hope your doing fine!

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Community. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards.

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Tried the methods, being told  to, didn't seem to work. could you please provide any alternate answeer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.