Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN -15 dc 1092tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own a HP omen 15, it has a i5-9300H and gtx 1650. It overheats a lot when im gaming, it tends to hit 95+ temps and games performance is affected due to that as well. Even in idle the temps are far from satisfactory. I have reset my windows completely as well but the temperatures are still high. My gpu also hits 90+ during gaming. I would like some help to reduce my temperatures

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If it was poorly pasted from factory, then it will help. You wont know unless you try.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@brokenbrain 

How long have you had the laptop?

Did this happen since day 1 or only recently?

What are the temps on idle?

Its possible it might need to be re-pasted. If you are under warranty, you can contact HP Support for further info.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Or you could re-paste it yourself as long as you don't screw anything up, else the warranty will become void.

Make sure there is no dirt blocking the vents. Blow some air into the vents to loosen any lint.

Then after a re-paste, if the temps are still extremely high, you would want to try undervolting the CPU. This will drop a little performance because it disables Turbo Boost, but FPS doesn't drop very much.

Some users prefer a tool like Throttle Stop or Intel XTU.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response, i got this laptop last august. It has been overheating pretty much since i bought it, I figured if i reset windows things might get better since undervolting got me nowhere cause i am pretty clueless regarding it. On idle i get around 65, when im browsing the net it goes beyond 75. 

HP Recommended

You are getting 65 shorlty after boot and at idle? Thats a little high, yes!

A reinstall of Windows might work. If you have something downloaded that is eating up resources right away, a reinstall would clean that out. You can use the Create media Windows 10  and an 8GB USB drive to do it.

If that did not work, I would consider a repaste of the cpu gpu. Use a high quality paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste, if you can find it.

HP Recommended

I have reset my windows already actually! Or is it not the same as reinstalling? It didnt help the temperatures at all. Do you think its the thermal paste afterall?

HP Recommended

If it was poorly pasted from factory, then it will help. You wont know unless you try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.