Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-AN162NB
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an 256 GB SSD who runs fast and OK.

But my 1 TB HDD 7200 rpm is really slow to access.

What can I do to solve this "problem" ?

Mant thanks and greetings

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Zeezicht 

You can't compare the speed of 2 physical drives on your machine.  They are

• 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
  • 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

You can upgrade 1TB 7200RPM HDD to 2.5"  SSD (no rotation drive) but it will still run slower than the 256GB drive because the 256GB drive uses NVMe protocols but other drive uses SATA III protocols.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks BanHien for your reply.

I am well aware of the "speed-difference" between a SSD an Sata HDD.

What i am experiencing here is …  if i like to access a file on the HDD,  via File Explorer, that it takes a lot of time before the "file list" opens ...

It seems (I suppose) , for me, that the HDD is put in a kind of "sleep mode" … (maybe a wrong word for it) ..

Can i somewhere check this in mij laptop and how to perform this .. ?? 

Many thank for your help and support,

Zeezicht

PS: The SSD = Samsung MZVLB256HAHQ-000H1

The HDD= ST1000LM049-2GH172

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.