Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 15-EN0023DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased the HP Omen 15 (15-EN0023DX) but unfortunately the screen brightness is not adjustable. It appears to be stuck at 100% brightness level. The FN keys do not work nor does opening up the windows setting directly. I have updated all the drivers multiple times, updated windows to the latest version (2004), and factory reset the laptop and the problem still persists. I had a conversation with the HP tech support directly and they were unable to provide any solution. I took the laptop back to Best Buy (where I purchased the laptop) and they were unable to root cause and fix it. 

Having the brightness at max setting is a big strain on my eyes and it is also causing my battery to drain when not plugged in. This is a big disappointment since this is a basic functionality of all laptops. Is there anything that can be done? Is the HP team planning on releasing a firmware fix/update?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@2020GTNRE

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and feedback. I will keep an eye for the follow up message from the internal HP team.

HP Recommended

I just bought the same laptop from Best Buy last night and have the same issue.  I was just curious if you had heard anything.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

No fix from HP yet. I did find one work around. If you go into your AMD Radeon Software, then click on the 'display' tab, then click on the 'color' button, you will be able to change the brightness of the screen. This isn't quite the same thing as changing the brightness with windows settings and it's also a very manual process, but it at least helps the condition some.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  That's something to try.  I really like this laptop but I'm thinking the safest thing to try might be to return it and wait for something else or at least when a known fix is available (firmware).  I haven't read of any brightness problems with the 15-EN0013DX which I believe is probably the same computer with less RAM and smaller SSD which is curious.

Thanks again.  I'll try out your suggestion.

HP Recommended

Yeah it is definitely annoying that a basic feature doesn't work. It's a strain on the eyes and also really hurts the battery life. One user on the forum posted that they were able to get a replacement laptop from HP that didn't have the issue. I'm not sure if he had the configuration you mentioned though. I would suggest you also reach out to the HP support to get a case number open and then also make your own post to hopefully get HP's attention. Unfortunately, I need the laptop for school so I don't want to be running around trying different laptops and I really wanted the AMD 4800h for it's performance benefit.

HP Recommended

I took mine back to Best Buy yesterday and exchanged it.  The new one works!!!!  So it doesn't seem like it's something that will be fixed with a BIOS update.

HP Recommended

I tried to swap mine at Best Buy as well but unfortunately my next one had the same issue!! Very aggravating. I'd rather not have to keep swapping laptops and just to find a working one.

HP Recommended

I bought mine last night from Best Buy with the same issue. I'm going to install test it there. I think If it's working in linux then it's a software/driver issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.