Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-ax213TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got HP Omen gaming laptop today, and when testing out I foud the fans to be quite loud when loaded.

The fans spin on max when playing games and I'm getting around 55-60 dB of fan noise. Is this normal?

My specs are;

• Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Windows 10 Home 64
  • 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB); 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @yakfarm!

I came across your message about the PC performance issue and wanted to pop in to help 🙂

Going through your post, I understand that the fan noise is high while playing games. I’d like to know the following details to assist you better:

1. Is the laptop overheating?
  2. Is your laptop shutting down by itself at any point?

Alternatively, perform a Windows update on your PC. Restart the PC once done. Then update the BIOS and the chipset drivers for this notebook. Go to http://hp.care/2oPMVOI to download and update the BIOS and Chipset drivers.

Restart your PC and check for issue resolution.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi

I already upgraded the drivers and even changed the fan setting in BIOS but the fan noise is still quite loud...

I don't think there is overheating; it's a little warm on keyboard areas and hot around the vents but still below 50°which is in the safe zone I think.

And no, there is no crashing or shut downs - just loud fan.

All I really want to know is if the fan is SUPPOSED to be this loud on max. 

The fan automatically runs on max when playing games, and although I've heard from other users that their max fan noise level is around 45-50dB, mine goes over 60dB (which is audible even when using headphones).

I did try to adjust the settings to lower values but it doesn't make too much of a difference unless I significantly lower the resolution to 720p or something which is kind of lame

So I just want to know the maximum fan noise dB level on HP Omen 2017 to see if mine is not faulty or anything.

If there are other users who are using the same or similar model as mine, it would also really help if you could tell me your fan noise level on max. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @yakfarm

The max fan sound would be around 40 - 50 dB. The Omen is a high-end gaming laptop. So it is common to have fan noise little higher than the regular notebooks. Also, for the first week, there will be a lot of updates which make a lot of noise 

Alternatively, if your system fan sounds like it's running at maximum (but you're not driving it hard), it could be triggered accidentally. Try hotkey: Fn+F (this enable/disable max fan), or open up HP OMEN Control - Advance tab to check max. fan option.

Let me know if that works!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi

The hotkey Fn+F does not seem to work and in HP OMEN Control the fan option is already set.

Is there any other way to toggle fan settings? The fan noise is really irritating me now and disencouraging me from playing any games....

HP Recommended

Hello, @yakfarm

You can try disabling the fan always on from BIOS.

Enter the BIOS to check if the "Fan Always on" option is enabled. Immediately tap the Esc key while turning on the laptop. In the Startup menu choose F10 to enter the BIOS.

If it is on "Always on", disable it.  Even if it is disabled, the notebook's BIOS will activate the fan when temperatures get to specified levels to cool the notebook down when you are playing games. It is safe to disable it. 

Omen BIOS.png

If the noise is really high still, I would recommend contacting the phone support, since this might be a hardware issue. You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

Let me know if that helps!

Have a great day 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.