Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 2020 Ek0
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new out of the box I have had a cool GPU but CPU which ran hot

been using throttlestop to lower the power levels to reduce the CPU temp

Went for a re-paste today, pictures tell a thousand words, see below, poor paste applied in factory on cpu, explains a lot

I disabled throttlestop and rebooted, ran a cinemark benchmark with stock configuration, performance selected in omen command. Temps are a lot lower than before and so higher benchmark, as it was thermal throttling before

october3_0-1597784802313.pngoctober3_1-1597784826663.pngoctober3_2-1597784843315.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anyone else whom is having problems with cpu temp too high and fans running to counter it...........a re paste makes all the difference, takes under half and hour, just need service manual and philips head screwdriver, and new paste

My laptop is like a different machine now

I looked at the photo I took of the heat sink and the thermal compound on the cpu was not applied correctly. I think they come mounted on the heat sink as rectangles, rather than applied to the GPU/CPU in factory setting. The process did not work in my laptop, all of the compound was around the cpu rather than being between the cpu and the heatsink. The GPU looked fine, and it was being cooled properly before the repaste

The colour of the orginal cpu compound looked a little lighter than the gpu one, maybe the batch was off? and it was too 'runny'?   

HP should do a CPU temperature run test to QC these laptops before they ship imo, its kind of obvious that the thermals were out of whack. Theres a lot of temperature related posts on the new omens

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Anyone else whom is having problems with cpu temp too high and fans running to counter it...........a re paste makes all the difference, takes under half and hour, just need service manual and philips head screwdriver, and new paste

My laptop is like a different machine now

I looked at the photo I took of the heat sink and the thermal compound on the cpu was not applied correctly. I think they come mounted on the heat sink as rectangles, rather than applied to the GPU/CPU in factory setting. The process did not work in my laptop, all of the compound was around the cpu rather than being between the cpu and the heatsink. The GPU looked fine, and it was being cooled properly before the repaste

The colour of the orginal cpu compound looked a little lighter than the gpu one, maybe the batch was off? and it was too 'runny'?   

HP should do a CPU temperature run test to QC these laptops before they ship imo, its kind of obvious that the thermals were out of whack. Theres a lot of temperature related posts on the new omens

HP Recommended

I noticed the same for my notebook. GPU temperature is fine but CPU is heating up to 97° C during gaming. THanks for documenting your solution, I'm going to try this! What paste did you use?

HP Recommended

Doesn't this void your warranty?

HP Recommended

MX4 paste, and no it doesn't void warranty

HP Recommended

How are your temperatures now? Do you see high temperatures?

HP Recommended

Hello, i bought hp omen in april. I have same problem with it. Throttling, 97/98 degrees on cpu. If i will make thermal paste change i will loose warrianty ? 

HP Recommended

I did this yesterday, I went from thermal throttling on 100º C to no thermal throttling at all, and running prime95 for 1 hour hitting a max temp of 91º .
It's night and day, before the fans ramped up randomly while just opening an IDE or something, now, unless you're really pushing, you can barely hear them.

HP Recommended

Yes you will lose your warranty. 

HP Recommended

Yes it does.  All ask any hp representative.  Stop spreading false information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.