Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-Ek0994
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello together

I couldn't find out anything about my question and HP support couldn't answer my question either.

The following: I would like to connect my notebook to a docking station. I use Lenovo for business and we have the Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen. 2 and I think this docking station is simply brilliant. Since I also do some home office work and 2 different docking stations are too cumbersome for me, I would like to get the one from Lenovo, especially since this docking station is comparatively inexpensive and the reviews also praise this device.
The docking station has a Thunderbolt 3 connector and my ThinkPad is also charged via it. This probably won't work with the Omen and I will probably have to connect the power cable when using my Omen with the docking. But won't my Omen break if I connect power via the charging cable and the Thunderbolt connector at the same time?

The HP support said I have to try it myself but I don't want to cause a short circuit or something like that on my device.

Due to a lack of space, I would like to use my devices in a closed state and also "store" them in this way, i.e. an external power button would be an advantage.

[content removed]

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Gin_Tonic 

HP Omen 15-Ek0994 is an invalid model/product. Anyway, iIt may have 200W charger (same as my Omen). I think your Lenovo dock does not have enough power to charge your Omen.

I read a news last month, vendors would sell 240W USB-C charger at the end of this year (2021) and hope they also sell USB-C docks which have more juice.

Back to your question, please wait. I'm using HP USB-C Gen 5 dock for my Elitebook  840 G5 now, the dock (100W) gives me to setup single cable solution. same as my HP Envy machine, Dell Inspiron 13 machine.

I tested on my Omen 15" machine. The dock won't fully work.

Note: HP has a 230W dock. I don't have it at not willing to buy it now therefore I can't say.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for your answer.

Yes, I forgot to add "nz" at the end, but according to HP support, the two letters are just the country code.

May I ask what is not working properly?

I have heard that the 230 watt docking station from HP has a fan and that it sometimes runs even in standby mode. Also, in my opinion, the price is just way too high.

However, would my idea of connecting the docking station via Thunderbolt and the Omen charger at the same time work, or could it be that my notebook will be damaged by overvoltage or something similar?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.