Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
11-14-2020 01:53 AM
Hi all, for the last week I have been having massive issues with my HP Omen, a system that has worked flawlessly for me for the last two years. Using it for general work and admin tasks it was running quite hot, then last week it randomly switched to black screen while I was working and I needed to power it off manually. This occurred twice more that day and I couldn't get it to stay on long enough to troubleshoot. I ended up wiping the entire system to factory settings and this seems to have fixed the power-off issue, but I have since tried to test the system and seeing some real struggles from my GPU.
Trying to run games (Apex Legends that I have previously ran at max since release day) I couldn't get above 15 FPS.
I tested my GPU via 'UserBenchmark' and it is returning results in the bottom 1% of systems.
After trying the list of things below, I resorted to completely wiping and resetting my whole system again. Running the same benchmarking tool I returned scores in the 95th percentile, but then running it again a few times later the scores progressively dropped until it was in the terrible range again.
Even on a fresh set-up the laptop runs quite loudly, system usage doesn't max out unless im in game (then GPU is max load) and runs quite hot (95C degree CPU and GPU under load)
I have tried:
- Resetting the entire system (resulted in good performance for around 15 mins before I terrible range of results occured again)
- Reducing all in game settings and various Apex bug fixes recommended onling (including running off different HD and reinstalling the game)
- Basic HP settings checklists (plugged in, performance modes on etc)
- Updating drivers / systems (all HP updates, all NVIDIA drivers, windows 10 updates, BIOS updates)
- Changes to NVIDIA control panel and global settings (the correct GPU is being used)
- Rolling back NVIDIA drivers
- Removing the back of the laptop and cleaning the fans (this has helped with heat but not changed performance)
I greatly appreciate anyones oppinions on this, is my GPU fried? What would be the recommended path to fixing the issue if any?
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community