Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-ek1000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 11

Every 5-10 minutes, no matter what game I am playing (Steam games) the frame rate will drop from 60FPS down to 5, it buffers there for about a minute, and then goes back to normal. This issue makes games impossible to play, and I am fully up to date on windows updates. Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @tsittner1 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice. 

I see that you are facing an FPS drop while playing games. Do not worry, we are here to help you with it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any changes to your system?

Could you tell me if it only happens while playing games?

Let me know if it happens while the AC adapter is plugged in or not. 

I would suggest you update all the drivers on your system and along with that, could you please use the link below and perform the troubleshooting steps: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-omen-15-5200-notebook-pc/8499271/model/8888473/document/c055... 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

This has been happening since i got the laptop, so i really haven't made any changes. This only happens in games, there's only one that i play that doesn't drop frame rate. It happens with it without the charger plugged in. ill take a look at the troubleshooting guide. 

HP Recommended

Sure.

Please follow the link shared and let me know the outcome of it.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Attempted everything on the troubleshooting page, nothing worked. Everything is up to date. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

Could you confirm if all the drivers of your system are updated? 

FPS drops in all games could be caused by multiple factors, including outdated graphics card drivers, malware & virus attacks, hard drive issues, and so on.

When Windows Updates downloads a driver that causes the hardware to fail, it can be rolled back to the working version. However, to prevent Windows Updates from re-installing the newer driver version, that specific update can be disabled.

Use the following steps to disable a specific update.

1. Either uninstall the driver and install the working version or roll back the driver.

• Open the device manager.
  • In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  • Select Device Manager in the menu.

2. Double-click a device type (for example, double-click Display Adapters) to view the devices in that category.

To rollback the driver,right-click,on the graphics drivers and select Properties. Click the Driver tab, and then select Rollback Driver.

3. Download Microsoft's Show or Hide updates tool.

Run the tool and wait while it scans for updates to be installed on the computer.

Choose Hide Updates.

A list of updates displays. Select the faulty driver in the list.

The driver version will no longer be installed automatically by Windows Updates.

If the issue persists then go to 1. Control panel >> Programs >>Uninstall a program.

2. On the left side, click on "View installed updates". This will give a list of installed updates. 

3. In the list, check for all Microsoft updates that happened on that particular day when the FPS dropped again.

4. Right click on that update and select uninstall.

Let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

THey are all up to date, yes. 

How do i know what driver/update to uninstall?

HP Recommended

You need to perform the steps for the graphics driver. 

Let me know how it goes. Once done, observe the system and let me know if there is any difference.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I tried everything (to the best of my knowledge) and used the Show/Hide tool. It found and hid something, and then went into my Control Panel, and uninstalled an old update, because this issue has been happening since I got the laptop. Nothing changed, still have bouts of essentially 0 FPS.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I would suggest checking your "Power Settings" in the "Control Panel".

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Click the plus/minus indicators to open and close the individual entries in the list. To change a setting that is grayed out, click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Most of the advanced settings are listed as pairs, consisting of an "On battery" setting and a "Plugged in" setting. Many settings can also be disabled, by selecting "Never" (for example), instead of a time value MyAARPMedicare Login

Refer this article to know more information about Improving Video Game Performance or FPS on your PC.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

If you have an NVIDIA graphics card on your PC try the steps recommended below. 

Try going into NVIDIA Control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Power Management > Prefer Max Performance. Then Apply, and then try running your game on battery.

Battery Performance: Seton High Performance.

* Advanced Battery Performance: Edited to use a minimal of 60% of the CPU.

If the issue still persists try performing a complete system recovery on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery on your PC.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.