Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Linux

HELP! My HP Omen laptop suddenly will not start! I have a multi-boot setup with Windows and Linux and had the laptop on very briefly this morning. It booted into Linux but I wanted Windows so I shut it down normally and the laptop turned off. I then pressed the power button to start it up again and it seems completely dead.

I removed the rear cover and the battery and tried the holding down the power button for 30 seconds trick but this did not work.

When I plug in the power supply I briefly get a single flash of the power LED in orange I think. When I press the power button the light flashes once. Nothing more. Fans don't spin up and there is no other indication of life.

How can it just die like that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ha! Problem solved!

The problem with with the power adaptor. Somehow the centre pin, which is rather thin on this plug,  managed to somehow get bent and was pushed to one side of the barrel. This must have been preventing the plug from engaging properly with the socket. Earlier I read the voltage with a DMM and it was a little over 19V so the plug apparently was not shorted. I managed to carefully straighten the pin. The plug then went in more convincingly and the laptop powered up. It took a while to start, but it booted up just fine. Phew!

Will have to watch out for that one in case it happens again!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Ha! Problem solved!

The problem with with the power adaptor. Somehow the centre pin, which is rather thin on this plug,  managed to somehow get bent and was pushed to one side of the barrel. This must have been preventing the plug from engaging properly with the socket. Earlier I read the voltage with a DMM and it was a little over 19V so the plug apparently was not shorted. I managed to carefully straighten the pin. The plug then went in more convincingly and the laptop powered up. It took a while to start, but it booted up just fine. Phew!

Will have to watch out for that one in case it happens again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.