Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hej I wonder if you can help me

actually I am pretty dissapointed with my gaming laptop because nearly every online-game lags heavily even on the lowest settings. I nearly followed every hint that I could find in the internet to make my laptop run quicker but it just made a slighty small difference for me.

What I have got: i7 processor, 8GB RAM, NVidia Geforce GTX 1050

SO now I reached the point where I actually think about upgrading my RAM from 8 to 16GB to be able to enjoy my games.

On another website I find a guide how to do it but they actually advise to replace the whole RAM for a new double 8GB one.

Quote:"Ideally, when changing the RAM even if the laptop already comes with 8GB you want to replace that stick with a new 2 x 8GB kit. Sure, this means we're replacing an 8GB stick with another 8GB stick, but it saves the trouble of potentially experiencing issues if the CAS latency, timings, and/or voltages are off."

Now I have to ask: Is that true and is it even worth the extra 60-100 Pounds? Or can I simply just plug in another 8GB to have literally the same result?

Thanks for your help mates

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It sounds like its using the integrated graphics and not the nvidia card.

In the Nvidia Control Panel in Global Settings, did you also see an option to choose Preferred Graphics Processor? Make sure its set to the Nvidia Card, not Auto-select.

gpu activity.JPG

IF that does not work, You may need to unistall and reinstall the graphics driver.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

I disagree with a complete swap.   What happens if both the new chips don't work? 

Would it be attributed to a bad memory chip, incompatible memory chip?

I have personally installed a different brand memory module along with the original one, in several of my HP notebook and desktop PC's.  Never had an issue.

As long as you get the same memory specs you should be fine.

I am giving you a free utility that I zipped up and attached below, that will tell you everything about the memory module in there now, speed, timing...could be right down to the chip manufacturer itself.

That way you can buy a compatible memory chip without too much guesswork.

HP Recommended

I wanted to also ask, when you say every online game is lagging heavly, what games specifically and what is the FPS?

Are you only experiencing this when playing on battery only?

HP Recommended

Fortnite for an example freezes from time to time or the whole game crashes and my laptop doesn't react anymore.  Black Ops 4 is absolutely unplayable because of lags and pixel issues. And I always play with the power supply, not with battery. 

Just some slow games, like card games are ok.

HP Recommended

What is the full product number of your Omen?

Ram would help, but I dont think its going to be the miracle fix for your issues.

Have you set your Nvidia control Panel to this setting yet...

global settings.JPG

• Your system is fully up to date including drivers, correct?
  • You can also open the Windows Task Manager and see what is taking up CPU resourses while gaming.  Click on the cpu column to make the highest percentages show on top. What does it say is running?
  • Open the Omen Command Center and see what your temperatures are when it lags.
HP Recommended

No I actually haven't changed this setting. 

My memory with default applications is at 30%

When I play a game my Disk is at around 80% 

My Laptop normally is very hot when I play a game especially above the F4-F12 keys...after 1 hour it's nearly burning when I touch it with my hand.

I will attach a picture of my taskmanager during loading screens:

Screenshot_20181021-173937_Gallery.jpg

HP Recommended

Again...

1. Change the settings for the global tab to run at Power Management Mode at Prefer Maximum Performance.

2. Select the CPU (not disk) in the Task Manager to show all the CPU usage for me.

3 What is the temperature in the Omen Command Center when it gets hot and starts dropping Frames?

HP Recommended

So I changed the settings as mentioned an now my game freezes every 30 seconds and after 3 or 4 times it doesn't respond anymore. I took pictures of the task manager but I can't find anything special. Laptop is warm but not really hotScreenshot_20181021-220952_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181021-220950_Gallery.jpg

HP Recommended

It sounds like its using the integrated graphics and not the nvidia card.

In the Nvidia Control Panel in Global Settings, did you also see an option to choose Preferred Graphics Processor? Make sure its set to the Nvidia Card, not Auto-select.

gpu activity.JPG

IF that does not work, You may need to unistall and reinstall the graphics driver.

HP Recommended

How can I thank you? Cant believe that this small change solved my problem.  I still experience small lags from time to time but it doesn't freeze anymore and it feels more fluent overall.  So I might upgrade my RAM regardless to increase the performance a little bit. 

Thanks a lot!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.