Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-dc1024na

So, it has been over 40 days since I am unable to use my 1300E laptop that I bought  9 months ago.

Laptop was overheating from day 1, temperatures under load are always above 90 even with a cooling pad, 94-95 in games all the time which of course is an issue affecting product lifetime, i have seen few discussions here and seen that Hp states that is that way by design(and i remember a guy threatening them to take legal actions because of design that restricts taking full advantage of powerful hardware because cooling solution hp designed isn't up to the job, and he got a refund for the unit after that).

Now, I have a somewhat different issue, instead of doing the same, I have used the laptop for a few months and besides never being able to fully take advantage of the performance, I am assuming from all the work under high temperatures "by design" laptop started developing  random BSODs , at first only from time to time, usually under load and especially while the charger is plugged in, and then it got to a point where it is completely unusable because its crashing right after powering ON.

So, brand new high permormance laptop from top price range dies after 8 months, alright, its electronics, anything can happen, I opened the case with an support agent, explained him the situation and we both agreed that it can only be a HW issue and since laptop is under warranty, he arranged pickup so it will be sent to hp's repair center in UK (flextronics i believe)

after 2 weeks laptop reached the repair center, it was sitting there for another week and it was sent back to me.

Exactly after 1 month I receive the laptop back with a letter inside saying that laptop is returned unrepaired, reason "3rd party had been inside the unit"

Now, that got me really mad, zero communication from anyone and laptop thats under warranty returns to me unrepaired

bacause 3rd party has been inside. Since that model doesn't have a separate lid for upgrading HDD/memory, whole bottom lid has to be taken off for any upgrades, and yes, i have installed additional memory and storage inside, is that a reason to refuse CPU/GPU hardware issue? 

There are no warranty-void stickers and even here on the board and on official youtube hp channel people are encouraged to do those upgrades and cleaning/repasting by themselves,  so is this something that is misleading people into doing those things so they can save some money refusing to fix other non related HW issues for units inside the warranty?

I have tried reaching support again, explaining the situation and asking to see if it's just someone being lazy or overworked  during the pandemic so they decided to send it back instead of fixing the issue or HP is standing behind that decision, which in the latter case, would call for a lawsuit for selling hardware that is designed in a way that you can't fully use because cooling isn't adequate and also encouraging owners to open up device for simple upgrades/cleaning in order to void warranty and refuse any repairs on the units.

Anyone had similar issues? 

I am still waiting for an official statement from HP (8 days and counting) Lady that reached out to me after escalating the issue have sent an email asking about what time to call me tomorrow,  I told her time that i will be available but she left me a voice message 3 days later apologizing and saying that he will call me at the same time i asked, just next day, i waiting for the call and nothing. I sent another email asking her to please respond to my questions via email because i am 40 days without my only laptop and I can't wait for the stars to align to hear back from her over the phone,  No reply for 4 days and counting.

Not sure how this will end, maybe it is just a mistake from the repair center, but after this experience, it's the last laptop I am buying from HP,  that's for sure.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

i also had the same issue with my omen 15-dc0xxx first they told me to go to service center then they replaced my fans (it was brand new 1 month use) then they sent it back to me but i found out the issue of overheating is still existing so i recontact with them and they said "bring it back for check up" so i went one week later they told me "issue is solved and its ready for you to pick it up" 

this time i told them to run a test on apex leagend which is already installed he replied " i ran a test and it worked perfcetly"

so i went and i asked them to wait until i test it myself, And the issue was still there (97C cpu) and called for the engineer to talk to him and showed him the performance and the thermal. he replied " i cant do anything about it. this how the gaming laptops works"

and here i am running my 1200$ laptop with 3.2MHZ underclock and -250mv core undervolt 

HP Recommended

That's really sad, I should have probably waited for a few months to see the reviews because there is a bunch of people reporting the same issues,  This should be escalated into a class action lawsuit against hp for selling something that cannot be used as it is and needing to be underclocked just to keep it running at all. 

Update regarding my exact issue- they have sent me an email after 10 days of not giving a call stating that they acknowledge the BSOD issue most likely caused by excessive heat but since THEY ASSUME I haven't done the memory upgrade in an ESD safe environment, they are refusing to do the repair of the original issue because if their assumption is correct, I COULD have caused ADDITIONAL damage to the motherboard.

I had to read the email few times because I couldn't believe what I was reading, its not the issue that I had opened the laptop to replace memory, the issue is that they ASSUME it wasn't done safe enough and it COULD have done additional damage.

No evidence, no anything, just an assumption that it was done wrong. 

2020 is a strange year indeed, but did the warranties really started to be not honored under assumptions?

I certainly wasn't expecting this to be handled this, it's sad that a company is using that kind of tricks to save some money, 

I will try to send another email in hopes that it will reach someone more reasonable and if that doesn't work,

if HP is officially denying repair under a simple assumption, lawyer is the next stop.

So yeah, everyone wondering if adding additional storage or memory, or just cleaning the laptop will void the warranty - Just the act of doing so won't, but they will assume you had done additional damage and case gets closed as customer induced damage, and then, depending on the value of your now unusable device, you either decide to sue them for not honoring the warranty while not providing any legit reason for such decision or just letting it go and never buying anything from HP ever again.

HP Recommended

Hi @DavorO

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.