Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've owned an HP Omen 15 ce0xx for about 2 years. I've never had any issues with it. For the past couple of weeks, it shuts down whenever I put it into sleep mode. This happens regardless of whether it is plugged in or not. 

Sometimes (but not every time) when I put it in sleep mode, the power button will flash indicating that it's in sleep mode. This will last for maximum 5 seconds and then the power light will go off, indicating that it has shut down. 

When it shuts down, the battery light (next to the power cable) will switch off, and the laptop will be dead - pressing or holding the power button does nothing. About 20-30 minutes later, the battery light will magically switch on again by itself, and I'll be able to press the power button and boot up the computer. 

I've run diagnostics tests on the battery and it says it's fine. I've updated software and drivers to the latest versions. I've run the troubleshooting in the settings menu and it tells me there's no problem. I'm wondering if I should try to reinstall Windows, or even buy a new battery and see if that fixes the problem. I'm also wondering if it is actually hibernating, not shutting down, and whether this makes any difference at all. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi@beeblebrox42, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document:-

Sleep and Hibernate Issues

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I went through all the steps on the website you sent me. The computer successfully stayed in sleep mode the first time I tried it, but every time after that it has gone back to its old ways of shutting down with the battery light switching off. I find it really strange that sleep mode would work one time, then stop working afterwards (I didn't change or update anything between these two instances). Do you have any other potential solutions? Should I replace the battery? Or perhaps reinstall Windows?

HP Recommended

Sometimes a battery will go bad, even thought the diagnostics indicates its fine.  I dont know of any other thing to try beyond what you did already. It would be very unusual if a wire or connection was faulty in the motherboard, but not impossible.

You can also try disabling Hibernate, may or may not work.

To do this, type CMD in the Search bar and run it as administrator.

To turn off or disable hibernation,

powercfg –h off

Then hit the Enter button. Exit CMD.

To turn in back on,

powercfg –h on

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I've tried disabling hibernate, and it doesn't fix the problem. I've even replaced the battery, and it doesn't fix the problem. The only other option I can think of is to reinstall Windows.

If anyone has any other advice, thoughts or solutions, I'd be really thankful if you could post them!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.