Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-c0000 (2W4Q0AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

So I recently purchased an HP Omen16 as my first gaming laptop.  It's great except that it's running hot during normal operation and the fans run all the time accordingly.  Even just having Chrome and a few tabs open causes this.  As I write this my CPU is at 58c with single digit usage and the GPU is at 40c with single digit usage.  My power mode is balanced and the fan is set to auto.  The fan is running most of the time.  I'm not streaming even audio or video much less gaming.

I really like my laptop and don't want to return it but I don't know what to do here.  Any advice is very much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ark2077 

Under 60°C  is good. Many Omen machines can easily run over 90°C 

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Here are two articles regarding CPU and GPU temps. They both have a laptop specific section:

CPU: https://www.cputemper.com/maximum-and-normal-cpu-temperature/#what-should-be-the-idle-cpu-temperatur...

GPU: https://www.cputemper.com/ideal-gpu-temperature-range/#:~:text=Average%20GPU%20Temp%20For%20AMD%20Gr...

As banhien stated, below 60 C is okay.

Here's my 2 cents though:

Check the temperature reading from multiple sources to make sure it's accurate first (assuming you haven't already). A few programs are speccy, CPU-Z, or through command prompt (you'll have to google that one.) Also the OMEN software.

Take into account your room temp too. According to those articles, the temps are based off of 70 - 75F ambient temp. Your GPU at 40C is good so I assume you've got normal ambient temps.

Uninstall any programs you don't use so they don't try to run in the background.

Also, if they're still pushing these laptops with the OMEN gaming hub, check your performance control page and see if it's set to OMEN performance. I've noticed my laptop runs hotter with that on even just doing simple tasks.

HP Recommended

Almost forgot, go into your task manager and kill OMEN gaming hub if it's running. See if that helps. It always did weird things with the fans on mine. Maybe that's just me though

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply raptor.  I see the article you linked says I should expect a laptop to run a bit hotter than a desktop so maybe I'm alright after all.

I checked and I'm running my PC in Balanced mode, not the performance mode.  I read that if I updated my BIOS and Gaming HUB I would also get a "comfort" mode that would lower temps but no luck after updating.

I'll see about those other pieces of software for checking temps.

Either way it's nice to know my new 1,000 laptop isn't going to explode lol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.