Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 cb1607nz

Is it possible to replicate these Lenovo ThinkPad BIOS settings for the HP Omen 17 cb1607nz?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Lumberjack88, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This is not recommended by HP. Both are differently designed devices and have their own default settings. You may change it at your own discretion.

For more info on BIOS setup, refer to this document - BIOS Setup Information and Menu Options

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar,

Thanks for your response!

The major problem I'm facing with this laptop is the impact the current CPU power management has on audio latency.

I'm using this laptop in conjunction with a professional- grade Universal Audio Apollo X8 audio interface and I encounter audio crackling and hiccups even by simply watching a youtube video or listening to an mp3 file, with not much else going on in the background (no other open apps etc.).

I've already talked to Universal Audio and they told me that this problem is typical for HP Omen laptops, as they had many HP laptop customers whith similar problems over the years.

Are there any settings that I could use in order to decrease the latency and intermittent audio artifacts?

Regarding the BIOS setup: How can I change it at my own discretion if, every time I open the BIOS screen on my HP Omen, there are clearly only very limited options which can be changed. In comparison, other BIOS screens for comparable laptops have much more settings which can be changed.

HP Recommended

@Lumberjack88

To identify if this is an issue with the sound card or something else, check if the audio works fine when the audio interface is removed.

If it works fine on internal speakers, it means the sound card is okay.

The issue could be with the audio interface, most likely a compatibility issue, you may check that on another Notebook to conclude.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The internal soundcard is not the problem, it works just fine.

However, pro audio recording requires powerful machines. On my desktop, the audio interface works fine (Z390 board with i9-9900K CPU) so it's not about Windows driver per se.

On this laptop, the power management interferes with the audio streams and introduces crackles. I wish I could turn off unnecessary power management during audio recording so that the laptop doesn't regulate the CPU frequency at inconvenient times. During other demanding tasks, like gaming or video editing, the worst you can get is framerate drops and that's about it. With audio, however, it brings the laptop out of synch with the soundcard and destroys the signal completely....

EDIT: Tried it with a 2 year old Apple Macbook and there it works without crackles. Sure, those are Mac drivers, but still, the interface itself seems to work with older laptops. The Thinkpad picture I've shown above is from a Universal Audio employee who uses that laptop with the same audio interface and he needed to turn off the CPU management to make it work...

HP Recommended

@Lumberjack88 I went through the entire conversation, as @Kumar0307 is away for the time being, and I'm afraid we have limited support boundaries in the support community on this concern as it works fine without the audio interface, however, though the device works fine on an alternate (mac) device it doesn't work on this HP device, this may require advanced troubleshooting, and I would request you to reach out to our HP Smart Friend Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Smart Friend Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i got the EXACT same problem. there seems to be no freakin way to solve it via BIOS Settings or OMEN Command Center. I also got Apollo TWIN USB and i got those crackles and blops... 

do you got any solution by now ? would really really appreciate any help. That notebook is my worst nightmare at the moment..

HP Recommended

@BreezySupertram

I suggest you contact HP's Smart Friend for further assistance with this issue

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.