Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

There is the Elan Service in services applet, stop it and also change start up to manual.  Then in the Task Manager end task on the ETD Control Center (the exe is like etdctrlhelper.exe or similar, it's located in the system32 folder) that will probably be running, if you don't see it then you're good.  Elan  Microelectronics does make the touchpad technology of course so sounds counter intuitive to disable it's software.  But the Elan software isn't required for any functionality.  In fact ever since Microsoft introduced their precision touchpad technology it is what enables the touchpad functions, not entirely but for the most part, the manufacturers abdicated to Microsoft for better or worse (i think a little of both but i digress).  In any case trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my very expensive Omen laptop i disabled the service and application running in task manager and lost 0 functionality and the touchpad problem hasn't come back, at least not yet.  Fingers crossed

HP Recommended

Ok I disabled the Elan service. Sadly no luck. Touchpad started doing the erratic/non responsive behavior maybe 30 minutes after disabling. One thing I have noticed and maybe it has nothing to do with issue is that when my starts the issue is when my laptop does not have charger plugged in. I will try leaving charger attached later and see if the issue persists. I have a few days left that I can still return my laptop to the store I purchased it but to get something similar I will probably have to go up in price.

HP Recommended

I have purchased the laptop 6 months before how can I replace the laptop is there any replacement option from hp

HP Recommended

It was happening for me whether on battery or plugged in.

HP Recommended

Same here. I had it happen while charger plugged in.

HP Recommended

So after a few days the problem started again.  It has only happened once since my last post so that is better than previously.  I have been using the laptop everyday.  So it does seem to do better with elan service off but not fixed.  The bottom of the touchpad is inconsistent all the time though.  Specifically trying to use it to left click/Select.  The bottom right works fine for the right click functionality.  To Left click successfully i have to clicker higher up on the touchpad.   I notice it when i am holding it down and trying to drag the cursor over an area to select, it doesn't select it.  Really annoying.

HP Recommended

since i have changed my touchpad twice the issue is still continueing there is no end for the issue i dont know whether it is a hardware issue there might  be a  software bug in the pc 

HP Recommended

i have changed my mindset to use a externall mouse or a touchpad

HP Recommended

I hate to say it but i regret buying the laptop. The touchpad is bad. I can't say it anymore clearly. i am constantly struggling to highlight areas on my screen because it won't respond to my motions or pressing down on it until i disable the touchpad then re-enable it or restart the computer. Very frustrating. Overall i like all the other aspects to it but none of it matters if i can't interact with the laptop. Using an external mouse for me isn't an option, i am using this like in the bed or on the couch, i don't use it on a desk or smooth type surface. I have a Desktop for that.

HP Recommended

Let me lay out a typical scenario. Initially i can left click on the bottom left of the touchpad. Then gradually the computer stops responding to clicking on the bottom left i have to move up on the touchpad for a left click to be recorded. Then it will start acting erratically where sliding across the touchpad no longer works, the cursor doesn't move and i can try over and over again and maybe it will finally move. Then i hit the F11 to turn off the touchpad, hit F11 to turn on the touchpad and it goes back to normal. I can left click again normally on the bottom left of touchpad, the cursor will move if i slide from left to right, etc... Rinse, Repeat

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.