Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the hp omen have a cmos battery? I'm trying to get fix my laptop after I updated it. The caplocks key blinks 5 times slowly and 3 times rapidly. I've removed my ram and placed it back, held windows key and b (v) but to no avail so I'm going got a cmos reset only I can't seem to locate it. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @Bostav 

It all depends on what model number you have.

Please post that, or the product number so I can look up its manual.

You can run the HP Support Assistant to find the Product number.

HP Recommended

On the bottom of the laptop it says 17-an010ca

HP Recommended

OK thanks. Looks like that motherboard does not have a cmos battery.

You could go into the bios and use F10 to reset bios, then F10 again to save and exit.

You could also disconnect the power cord and the main battery to remove power to the board for 5-10 minutes to do the same thing.

HP Recommended

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm unable to access the bios due to the boot sequence never reaching that point 😞 I've also tried discontining the power and main battery for about 30 minutes but didn't have any luck. 

HP Recommended

If you rapidly tap the ESC key during Power-On, do you get a menu of options?

There you should be able to choose Bios from F10 at that point.

Does the bios open then?

To add, can you try disconnecting the hard drive before attempting to access the bios? see if that helps.

HP Recommended

Negative,  still seeing the same results. Black screen with a flashing caplocks. 

HP Recommended

OK. The blink code indicates... The embedded controller times out waiting for the BIOS.

Usually a motherboard failure, but sometimes a hardware failure.

Hopefully you are still under warranty?

HP Recommended

Warranty expired in 2019, Oh no! Is the embedded controller soldered on? 

HP Recommended

I couldn't say for sure, but its very possible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.