Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an198ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I replace the SSD or know which kind to buy?  Then how do I reinstall windows?  After getting a failed to boot message I tried the built in repair to keep my files, but that didn't work. The error kept happening. I then tried repair and not keep my files as it downloaded from the cloud.  The error message stopped, but it gets to the welcome screen and reboots over and over.  I then ran the system diagnostics, and the SSD failed the optimized test. That's where the OS is, and I'm guessing it is dead. Now I am stuck. I don't have a usb drive backup thing. What do I need to do?

Failure ID RQ84GK-96WAQT-MFPW3G-620J03

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

you have several possibilities
identify the model by opening the computer

or maybe Maintenance and Service Guide
look for the same with the reference on it
you can try to change it for a bigger one, sometimes the models have a reference, but you can find the same in 256 500gb etc!

To reinstall check if the cloud is supported

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support
if not, download the microsoft media, you will have to recover the drivers then (and the software if possible)

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10

17-an198ms Product Specifications

Software, Drivers and Firmware

check all the same, because a little doubt
the product page found, mentions an ssd only
but if we look at the manual you could have an ssd and an HDD, it will be necessary to identify if it is indeed the broken SSD
the hp test mentions

RQ84GK-96WAQT-MFPW3G-620J03OK10/10/21308StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 2 Optimized

[edit]

service hp part

L27181-003   Il n'est pas possible de commander cette pièce : HP Part Partners peut vous aider. Cliquez ici.  
GNRC SSD 128GB 2280 PCIe-3x2 TLC Marlins  
RoHS: COMPLY_2.06
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I appreciate the response. It is indeed the SSD with the issues.  That said my only option is to replace it. Since the new SSD won't have an OS on it, I don't see how I can download the cloud recovery tool.  Does HP not have a reinstall option that can be downloaded to a thumb drive? I'm on my old win 7 laptop that is barely working right now.  I am the registered owner of the laptop, and a customer.  I'm not even sure if the new SSD I bought and will pick up later will even work, though. Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive is what I bought.  Getting the HP branded windows on it is another issue.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but if your computer is compatible with cloud recovery software
follow the instructions

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

Step 2: Download and install the HP Cloud Recovery Tool

Download the HP Cloud Recovery Tool.
note:
  • Do not install the HP Cloud Recovery Tool on an external hard drive. The tool does not work when downloaded to an external hard drive.
  • HP Cloud Recovery Tool can only be installed on Windows 64-bit, but not on 32-bit versions.
  • Windows 10 only
    1. From your PC, go to the Microsoft Store and search for HP Cloud Recovery Tool.
Select the HP Cloud Recovery Tool App from the search results, and then click Get. Microsoft downloads and installs the App.

Windows 10 or Windows 7
  1. To download the recovery software, click HP Cloud Recovery Tool.
    note:
    Alternatively, you can go to the HP Customer Support page and search for Cloud Recovery.
  2. Download and install the HP Cloud Recovery Tool. If you are prompted with a choice to run or save the file, click Run.

Step 3: Run the HP Cloud Recovery Tool
Use these steps to run the recovery software.
  1. Insert a blank USB drive (minimum 32 GB) into the computer, and then make sure the computer is connected to the Internet.
    note:
    Any data on the USB device is permanently deleted during this process. When the process is complete, the USB device contains only the recovery software.
  2. In Windows, search for Cloud Recovery, right-click HP Cloud Recovery Tool, and then select Run as administrator.
    If a Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? message displays, click Yes to continue.

Otherwise, as shown used the microsoft system is another possibility
Besides, I don't know if you can install the cloud recovery image, if you change the capacity of the SSD.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.