Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen, 2014, Hewlett-Packard

Hi there, 

(HP Omen, 2014/5, Hewlett-Packard)

I have recently inherited an old gaming laptop from a brother-in-law. I tried to plug it in a power up but no joy. The Charge indicator suggests the battery is taking charge. When I plug it into the wall the red lights come on and the fans come on as well. I try and hold down the power button to shut it down completely (holding it for up to a minute sometimes) but then as soon as i remove my finger from the power button it automatically boots on again and the red lights and fan comes on but no display or AI sounds of any kind.

I have tried removing the battery and clearing the laptop of static build up but it hasn't changed anything. I have tried powering up with and without the battery attached and with and without the power cable attached. 

I have also tried a BIOS reset by holding down the B key and the windows key etc and that didn't change anything 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't afford a new computer

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@lachie1701 Have you attempted to connect the device to an alternate power cord or adapter?

Or check by excluding any surge protectors to check if it works?

Alright, here's the best way to revive the laptop, using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP GUIDE

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

If the above doesn't help or the steps are insufficient, check the below steps:

Let's start with a hard reset of your notebook computer before you try any other troubleshooting steps.

Reasons for a hard reset

A hard reset has the following effects:

• Clears the memory.

• Reestablishes the connection between the BIOS and the hardware

The following conditions can be helped by the hard reset:

• Windows stop responding.

• The display suddenly goes blank.

• The computer does not wake from sleep or hibernate modes.

• Software applications freeze or fail to respond.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.