Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1004nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening. I have a concern regarding Omen Command Center. At the moment, I own an HP Omen 15-dc1004nq with i7-8750h, 16 gb ram, RTX 2060 and 144Hz screen. I bought it a few months ago. I downloaded Omen Command Center from Microsoft Store and logged into my HP account. The thing is that I don’t see anywhere the “overclocking” tab/option. It is not displayed anywhere and I installed the application several times. My CPU is most likely overclockable since its 8th generetation. Here is a picture how the menu looks like: 

69C65240-C01E-40E2-97CE-68987B3B7087.jpeg

I also have 1 more question. Is it normal to have from 80-95 degrees as temperetature while gaming for a few hours? My laptop won’t break or my CPU won’t burn from these high temperatures? Should I go with Comfort mode, Default or the last one (power)?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @VictorMihai12   Got your message.

OK so those laptops as with almost all laptops are not overclockable.

Two reasons:

1- the CPU is not unlocked. The unlocked CPU's are only available for desktops.

2- the cooling system couldn't handle the heat generated if you could. Those heat-sinks can only do so much in a laptop.

When you installed the OCC, make sure to also install this app...

Get HP System Event Utility - Microsoft Store

OMEN Command Center SDK  sp98588.exe

Yes those laptops get hot while gaming. It is not supposed to hurt the system, But I don't personally like it run at 95c.

If its hitting 95 constant, then I would look into an alternative fix.

You can try setting the OCC to Comfort Mode and see if the heat drops. It might affect performance slightly but I doubt it will be enough to notice.

IF not, some users undervolt the cpu with a tool like XTU or ThrottleStop.

Let me know how it works out.

HP Recommended

I will try to set it to Comfort mode. Can you teach me how to undervolt please? Or at least link me a really good tutorial which explains me briefly what I have to do. This undervolting can hurt my laptop if anything goes wrong? I really want help to do it.

HP Recommended

I dont do support for it. But there are lots of tutorials online that a Google search will lead you to.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=3zjDXfKNE4jcswWA27zgAg&q=HOW+to+use+xtu+to+undervolt&oq=H...

Download XTU...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/66427/processors/processor-utilities-and-pr...

Undervolting wont hurt your system

HP Recommended

I also have a few more questions. At battery icon, should I leave it in the middle or drag it towards best performance?

5A4A4536-5D17-47A6-9F97-F163DC53DC00.jpeg

Regarding Power Plans. Should I leave it on Balanced or select High performace? 

HP Recommended

Well, its personal preference. The higher the slider, the more power gets used.

I would probably leave it in the middle if not gaming.

Just an FYI.  You should be gaming while plugged into the power cord, not on battery. Using the battery only for gaming will simply bring it to its end of life sooner. Also as those types of batteries get old and you over heat them while on battery, they can fail faster and become swollen which will warp your case.

HP Recommended

Is it alright if I set the power plan to High Performance and the Omen Command Center to Comfort Mode? I am asking cause high performance goes for performance and comfort for better temperatures.

Also, please tell me honestly. Do you think Omen laptops are good? People keep saying they are bad and they have really thermal issues, and rather buy Lenovo/Asus/Acer.

HP Recommended

Yes you can set the power to Performance Mode and OCC to Comfort. You can also try changing the power plan and see if you get different results. Its not going to hurt anything to experiment.

Do you honestly think considering Ive been on this forum for years, that I would tell you Omens are terrible and not to buy one? Everyone has an opinion and if one person has issues, they automatically assume the whole company is bad. I've read pro and con about the competition also. All I can say is read the reviews and decide for yourself. Ive been very happy with the HP products Ive used.

HP Recommended

Can my laptop get burnt in a few years or die if I keep gaming on it? I just want it to last me some years since I like it a lot.

HP Recommended

I wouldn't let it run constantly at 95c. But I doubt its going to die soon unless there was some other defect in the cpu.

Did you try any of the suggestions above to see if it runs cooler?

You can also try lowering the Max Processor State. This turns off Turbo Boost and will lower the temps also.

I have the instructions on this link....

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Re-OMEN-by-HP-Laptop-15-dc0025ca-Overheating-while-ga...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.