Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen-15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Continuing the discussion from this locked forum from 2018.  The problem is that when you charge to 100%, battery longevity goes down, so many companies integrated charge limiting software that lets the user limit charge to a value like 70%. The user on the linked forum found a solution by updating their BIOS, but unfortunately the 2020 HP Omen BIOS has gotten rid of that feature and replaced it with some adaptive battery saver, which might work, but AFAIK, it doesn't limit charge. There's also Battery Limiter by RobotonFire,  which only alerts you to remove the plug, which is annoying. I want to know how to limit charge on my HP Omen-15 to about 70%, so I can keep my laptop plugged in (prevents the cpu/gpu from slowing to save battery). Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Thanks!

edit: HP has a charge limiter, but only for business notebooks: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01297640

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I guess the support staff only respond once more of us ask for this. I am in need of this, Loved the specs and bought omen instead of g15 or legion..but now i am stuck with this battery problem..as both asus and lenovo allow users to set battery limit via there command centers resp.

HP Recommended

@BadriP @witherllooll
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery.
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only.
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Bro. Seriously are you suggesting this as option or what? Just for clarification we want a way to limit charging at specific percent, Not telling you guys that our battery got stuck at 70% or something like that. BTW how do you suggest i remove the battery when the omen series has inbuilt battery. And correct me if i am wrong what will be the expected behavior for the solution you suggested.

HP Recommended

It was probably a bot. As far as I know, there won't be a solution for this anytime soon. 

HP Recommended

I guess you are probably right as controlling charge requires hardware modifications which should be in there at first. We can only hope HP already did that with omen series. if not then what we only need to change battery what like every 1.5yrs..considering my usage. My support assistant already reporting 89% as full capacity considering my laptop is just 5mnts old and even i didn't charge it over 75% most time. It's a nightmare, guess it's important feature after all in a laptop.

HP Recommended

@BadriP

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try a few more steps to isolate the issue: 

Run hardware diagnostics test on battery and Charger:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.
  5. To run both tests simultaneously, in the Component Tests menu, click Power Source, and then click Run once. Each component can also be tested individually.

AC Adapter Test:

The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

Follow these steps to perform the AC Adapter Test.

• In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click an AC Adapter Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • The AC Adapter Test begins.
  • When the test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Battery Test:

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click Battery.
  2. Click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
  3. When the battery test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. For additional battery information, click Battery Details.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an Omen 17 gaming laptop from 2018 and this battery charge stopper works for me very well. I have it blocked at 80% i dont know if this helps you but i just wanted to mention that its in the bios.

HP Recommended

They Stopped that feature for new models as mentioned in original post.

HP Recommended

Thats bad i hope they add it again, or at least in the newer ones

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.