Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an053nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi 

My OMEN by HP - 17-an053nr screen stopped working correctly. It no longer display anything. I have an external screen that works when I connect it to the laptop. Sometimes the screen is black and sometimes it displays weird  colorful vertical lines. Can HP help fix my laptop?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

If your built in screen stays blacked out or sometimes displays colorful vertical lines, but an external monitor works fine, your screen has failed and would have to be replaced. Sometimes it can be a bad ribbon cable also or loose connection.

You would have to have it looked at, if you're not comfortable doing that yourself (assuming you are out of warranty by now).

Your screen will have a product number sticker on the back of the panel that will tell you what it is when its taken apart.

These are the part numbers according to your manual...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06001792.pdf

Display cable  931569-001

4K panel   UHD, AG, UWVA, 300 eDP, 60 Hz, Flat PSR. ML   845823-004

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding! Is this something that HP can fix for free? This laptop has only been used on my desk. I very rarely have moved it or close the lid. This seems like it is defective hardware.  This laptop is only 3 years old and there shouldn't be any issue with a laptop that new and taken care of. I can't seem to find a way to contact HP customer service to help me get this issue fix. Can you help me contact HP customer service?

HP Recommended

We don't speak for HP warranty service here, but I can tell you that like any other MFG, they go by time warranty started and ended, not by how much a user claims its been used.

I can ask if someone can contact you, but considering the time frame of 3 years of ownership now, I highly doubt it.

HP Recommended

Yes, I would like to at least try and talk with someone at HP to see what can be done about this issue with the laptop that I spent $2000 on. Does not having a current warranty mean HP won't do anything about the issue? Even if it is due to defective parts inside the laptop and not user use?

HP Recommended

I turned your name in. That is all I can do. good luck.

HP Recommended

@EEngineer

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

It has been 3 days since I got this message and I don't see any private messages? 

HP Recommended

Oh, so I actually had the same problem on the same model. Yeah, the only thing you can do is hook up an external monitor bc even when I went to laptop monitors to get a new one and changed it, the problem never actually became better. I did, however, replace the thermal paste and that old laptop went to one of my cousins who's basically using it as a desktop. 

HP Recommended

HELLO? It has been 10 days and I have still not received any private message.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.