Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15 dc0051nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The left speaker on my laptop randomly goes quieter than the right speaker. I can still hear audio from it but it is significantly lower that the right and the sound coming from the right seems to accurately reflect the volume level whereas the left doesn't change when adjusting volume. The right speaker never goes quiet and I notice it most when streaming Netflix etc. I've only had the laptop for 3 weeks and didn't use it for the first 2 so it isn't wear and tear from over-usage.

I installed the latest audio driver 6.0.1.8454 Rev.B and it helped for a few hours but the problem persisted again after turning the machine off for a while. I also did a hard reset which also helped at first but as soon as I adjust the volume, the left speaker goes quiet. There is also a faint crackle sound from both speakers when I put my ear right up to them.

Any fixes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ceek

Welcome to HP Forums, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

Here's a BIOS update that should resolve the issue: Click here to download and install the same.

If the issue persists, I recommend you check with an external headphone to check if that works without the faint crackle noise, if it does and yet the speakers have issues, this could be a hardware malfunction within the speakers.

However, if the headphones has the crackle noise too, this could be a software issue, and I recommend the below steps:

Try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how:

• Open Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

• Open Start , enter Sound, select it from the list of results. On the Playback tab, select a device, then Set Default.

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, and your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ceek

Welcome to HP Forums, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

Here's a BIOS update that should resolve the issue: Click here to download and install the same.

If the issue persists, I recommend you check with an external headphone to check if that works without the faint crackle noise, if it does and yet the speakers have issues, this could be a hardware malfunction within the speakers.

However, if the headphones has the crackle noise too, this could be a software issue, and I recommend the below steps:

Try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how:

• Open Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

• Open Start , enter Sound, select it from the list of results. On the Playback tab, select a device, then Set Default.

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, and your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I already have the BIOS update installed.

As for the generic windows driver installation, I get a compatibility warning. Should I continue anyway?

HP Recommended

@ceek

Thanks for keeping us posted

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

Please accept the compatibility prompt and install the generic Windows driver.

I also suggest you run the Audio Test to confirm the Hardware functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Audio

Check for the crackling sound during the test

Let us know how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

My issue seems to be resolved after changing the driver. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@ceek

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute in identifying and leading you towards the solution.

This contributes to a growing HP community.

I must say, its been a genuine pleasure interacting with you,

You can always click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos,

Take care and have an awesome week ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.