Tardis40
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 436
Message 11 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DocRenz,

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Reelhouse
4 4 0 0
Message 12 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is happening to me as well. As a matter of fact i'm returning the laptop today due to this issue. HP blames it on Microsoft/Win10/Etc but that just isn't the case. I'm a 30+ year hardware professional/engineer complete with multiple degrees and certificates (including HP's own MasterTech Cert). I've even troubleshot this laptop to the conclusion that it is power related somehow. I can get a decent frame rate (we will use World ofWarcraft as the benchmark here) for a period of time then it just goes to nothing. I can actually regain frame rate by unplugging the charger for a few minutes, which while unplugged the frame rates gets EVEN worse (say down to 3 to 4 FPS at this point), then plugging it back in. It will shoot up to 60-80fps, even higher, with WoW running on Ultra. This tells me there is a power constraint when the charger stops actively charging the laptop, even though it is plugged in. As soon as it hits 100% and goes into a powered/non charging mode the frame rate starts to drop again...

I'm sure this can be fixed but i'm affraid I can't wait to see what happens. I'm going to keep using my 1.5yr old 17'' Asus ROG with the 865 chip, which is performing substantially better than this unit!

0 Kudos
Sniperstorm2
Level 2
16 14 0 4
Message 13 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I the problem I think you are having is the CPU keeps throttling down to 800mhz.   I have the same exact issue. I went to power setting and changed the processor power management setting from 5% to 100% and it seems to correct the issue. Give it a try and report back

0 Kudos
Reelhouse
4 4 0 0
Message 14 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I wish I had time to keep on messing with it but it was under a 30-day return so it's gone. I think I set those at 100% on both battery and plugged in but i could be wrong.

0 Kudos
Sniperstorm2
Level 2
16 14 0 4
Message 15 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

here is what I did learn this AM. I looked into my other laptops. My Lenovo Y-50 does the exact same thing, and my HP Star Wars laptop does it also. So I  think it must be a windows 10 thing with laptops.

0 Kudos
Reelhouse
4 4 0 0
Message 16 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good to know, I have the SW Edition as well! With the Nvidia chip. So I will play with that. I replaced the HP with an Asus ROG with the newer 1080 chip and it doesn't do it, FWIW.

0 Kudos
DocRenz
Level 1
6 4 0 5
Message 17 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry but Windows 10 isn´t the Problem. That´simply **bleep** 😉

Me and 12 other people in the German HP forum have the same issius with the Omen 17 Laptop.

And we have found a solution on our own.

The failure is the AC Adapter.. 120 Watt are way to underpowerd for this type of Laptop.

So we testing it with a 150 Watt HP Smart AC Adapter... And? it works! No FPS Drops anymore!

Greetings from Germany

Sniperstorm2
Level 2
16 14 0 4
Message 18 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Awesome. Can you post the link to the adapter you picked up.

Why do you think it also does this on my HP Star Wars Laptop and my Lenovo Y-50?

0 Kudos
DocRenz
Level 1
6 4 0 5
Message 19 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure.

It´s this one

http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W2F74AA&opt=ABB&sel=ACC

Hmm i guess it´s a BIOS Failure. On some Asus Gaming Laptops they have the same issius with the drops. But they fix it with BIOS updates..

0 Kudos
Sniperstorm2
Level 2
16 14 0 4
Message 20 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could you also send me a link to the forum thread on the German site?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation