Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 1 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Omen laptop Model 17-w033dx

OMEN W2N44UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased an hp omen 17.3 model 17-w033dx 2 days ago, and it is not working properly straight out of the box. I can not play any game with any system requirements for longer than 10 minutes without the frame rate tanking. I have tried to run 4 different games, all which should definitely be able to be ran by the hp omen 17.3. I have tried all variations of graphics settings and they all fail to work consistently. I'll begin with getting over 150fps and it will drop all the way down to 15-25 fps and stay there until I restart the game. Even restarting the game doesn't fix the issue sometimes. I purchased this laptop thinking it was a gaming laptop, turns out I cant even run Hearthstone on low settings for longer than 10 minutes. What a disappointment and waste of my time. I've tried tinkering with all sorts of graphical settings, making sure everything is set to performance, it did not make a difference. Needless to say I will not be purchasing any "gaming" equipment from HP in the future. As for my Omen, I will be returning it as soon as I get the chance.

64 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
2785 144 327
Message 2 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.
If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
SBxIronman Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 3 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also just purchased the same model laptop with the expectation that the high end hardware would translate into solid game performance. Playing the 5-year old SWTOR using the Nvidia optimized settings, I am getting an astonishing 6-10fps when connected to a power source. Needless to say, this is not looking like a solid purchase, as even in low settings the fps slows to a crawl when in combat. It's almost as if the laptop is using the built in Intel display adapter.

I have 12 more days before I will return the product for a refund and go with another brand if these issues are not resolved. I'm "glad" to see I am not the only customer experiencing this issue.

Update: Strike that, getting 6-10fps in combat in "Very Low" graphics setting. Ridiculous. :|

Update (7/24/2016): Updating BIOS this morning resolved low frame rate issue. System is now actively using GTX 965m memory and performance is precisely where I expected it to be upon purchase. Very pleased this was resolved before I had to return the laptop for refund. :)

Vukale Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 4 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I cant install bios update through the HP SUPPORT. Is it there somewhere i can download it manualy and install?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 201 432
Message 5 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Vukale,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with a BIOS update. I will be glad to help you.

I would send you a link be HP are making changes to there web site.  I will look again Monday for the drivers.

You can go to support.hp.com to see the same as me.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Vukale Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 6 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks.

Retired
Retired
3798 201 432
Message 7 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Vukale,

Here is a link that well start a download of HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors) Jul 27, 2016 Version F.09 Rev.A

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
DocRenz Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 8 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, I have the same bad issius with frame drops in every game :/

Newest Nvidia and Intel drivers are installed.

I have installed the F.09 Rev.A update but it change nothing. Still the Same issius.

What can i do???

Retired
Retired
3798 201 432
Message 9 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DocRenz,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the games playing slow. I will be glad to help you.

Please look at these documents

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
DocRenz Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 10 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did everything of that.

The Laptop is 4 days old. so absolutely new with all udates and drivers.

Just i said before. i got the same fps drop and heat issius. Newest BIOS F.09 dont help too.

I cant configure some tweaks because the bios are so...well.. bad.. 3 Options. Password, Booting and Intel UEFI Settings.
For a laptop of this class and Price its very very bad!

Nevermind. i cant find a solution for my problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation