Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 w200n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my laptop touchpad became quite erratic , then I noticed the actual case had become warped and was bulging!

Turns out the battery had became quite swollen and actually forced the case open.  For safety reasons I disconnected the faulty  battery and removed it from the laptop since I'd rather it didn't end up exploding and end up in flames.

The laptop warranty has expired, but the laptop is just a few years old and the battery part is most definitely faulty and looks dangerous. It's not like its old and lost its charge over time, the thing looks like a balloon that is about to explode.

I noted the same issue appearing in other laptops of the same model and that HP replaced the defective battery part. I am hoping that I get the same level of service as there is an existing recent precedent for this type of replacement and the part is most definitely very faulty.  I've attached images showing the issue.

I also have an automated Case Number 5048465411

IMG_9393.jpegIMG_9392.jpegIMG_9391.jpegIMG_9390.jpegIMG_9389.jpegIMG_9388.jpegIMG_9387.jpegIMG_9384.jpegIMG_9386.jpegIMG_9385.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @David_Keating

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After providing all the details I was contacted by HP support and had to wait on the phone for a long time only to be told by a salesperson that it would cost almost five hundred pounds sterling for the laptop to be collected and the faulty battery replaced.

This is not acceptable, I am an experienced IT professional, twenty five years in the IT industry and have personally serviced quite literally thousands of laptops in that time. I currently have several dozen HP, Apple, Dell, Lenovo, Acer Gigabyte Microsoft surface premium quality laptops and know well enough that lithium ion battery life can deteriorate over time and have reduced capacity for battery charge.

This is not the case with this HP OMEN battery, the issue I am facing is that it expanded in the case and like many other have found the battery is undeniably and visably demonstratively faulty.

A quick search on this very forum shows many other people with the HP omen laptop have the same issue.

Now this is the point, anyone can see that on this public support forum that the HP OMEN range of laptop that use this particular HP branded OEM part battery are having the very same issue, that being the battery is swelling up and expanding.

This makes the laptop not fit for purpose and in danger of actually having a HP branded battery burst while in use.

On Thursday October 1st 2015 New legislation came into effect under The Consumer Rights Act (CRA) updating The Sale of Goods Act 1979 that covers this event, laptop is not of satisfactory quality,  the battery is undeniably faulty and not fit for purpose. This images I have provided proves that the item sold to me by HP is faulty and the multiple reports of the same item on this very site re-enforces this fact, Also HP has previously engaged in battery replacement schemes for such faulty parts so have much like APPLE and Samsung this has been due to health and safety issue and aviod legal case being brought againt them.

As this unit was sold to me after the 1st of October 2015 the The Consumer Rights Act of 2015 (updated from theThe Sale of Goods Act 1979 ) is applicable and under that law the following apllies

-------------------------------

Goods or services purchased after the 1st of October 2015 will be subject to the new laws (CRA 2015)

• Be of a satisfactory quality and of a standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory.

• Be fit for a particular purpose. When you indicate that goods are required for a particular purpose, or where it is obvious that goods are intended for a particular purpose and a trader supplies them to meet that requirement, the goods should be fit for that purpose.

• Match the description, sample or model. When you rely on a description, sample or display model the goods supplied must conform to it. If the goods do not conform, an offence may have been committed

• Be installed correctly, where installation has been agreed as part of the contract

• All contracts for services must abide by the following:

• The trader performs the service with reasonable care and skill.

• Information which is said either orally or in writing is binding where the consumer relies on it.

• Where the price is not agreed beforehand, the service must be provided for a reasonable price.

• The service must be carried out in a reasonable time.

If the above criteria is not met, the consumer will be entitled to the following remedies:

• The trader should either redo the element of the service which is inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you, within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience;

• In circumstances where the repeat performance is impossible, or can’t be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction.

Depending on how severe the failings are this could be up to 100% of the cost.

-------------------------------

Now that seems quite simple to me, and has nothing to do with this premium product being out of its initial warranty.  

Now with this in mind I need you to answer this question.

Seeing as the battery still holds a charge, are you saying that it is in fact still fit for purpose and is 100% safe to re-connect the engorged and swollen battery and just let my young son play his games on it? 

I await your response.

David Keating

HP Recommended

Also I would like to direct anyone reading this to this case. Anyone doing their research can see that all 2017/2018 Omen laptop battery had potentially dangerous and faulty Li-ion batteries.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Swollen-HP-Omen-battery/m-p/73...

Please read this support case carefully before replying.

Small claims court cases are very simple to invoke in the UK if anyone would like advice on how to do so please do feel free to contact me.

HP Recommended

After searching on your own support forums i have found that other HP omen laptop owners have rightly had battery replacements for free see here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-Omen-laptop-battery-swollen/m-p/7349952#M23909

and

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Swollen-HP-Omen-battery/m-p/73...

I have another question for you, why are certain people being treated differently?  what exactly is the specific reason that these cases are different, seeing as all of us have same  obviously faulty 2017/18 HP omen laptop batteries. I would like to know if the specific prejudice seems to be against certain people, is it location or ethnic background perhaps? maybe it was my accent on the phone?

or maybe you think some of us are just stupid.

Could you please have a careful think about it and then make a public reply regarding this.

HP Recommended

Looking at the amount of complaints and swollen batteries that are at risk of bursting open and causing further damage to equipment and personal harm I believe that the HP OMEN battery model PF06XL should be added to this list of HP batteries from the same time period that need recalling.

https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com

I think it would be prudent that this request be escalated the evidence examined and the PF06XL also potentially be recalled as a matter of public safety.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.