Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen

Hello,

When I open my HP Omen, it makes an audible "snap" noise when I open my laptop to use it.  It seems harmless.  I am still able to use my laptop and there are no issues with the joint and the screen looks good.  I did not drop the laptop recently or damage it in any way.  Should I take it to a repair shop to get looked at?  I just don't want to wake up one day to use my laptop and my screen to have issues or worse, my screen to be black.  I'm not sure if this snapping is doing damage to the joint or if it is harmless.  Any advice is helpful.  Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jlatiger 

My opinion is that the "snap" sound is not harmless and should likely be checked - sooner rather than later, in fact.

Opening and closing the notebook might not make the problem worse - there is also the risk that opening an closing the notebook will increase the risk of actual (further) damage.

What is the "snap"?

The underlying cause of the snap sound might be a hinge issue, that is, the hinges are catching and not working properly.

What to do?

Besides having the computer checked by a licensed notebook hardware technician, minimize opening and closing the case as much as possible.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.