Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-an180no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Previously posted in wrong part of forum.

Got this computer a week ago. I usually use coretemp to monitor CPU temp on my computers. This one has reached temps of 98-100 (Tj. max) Celcius repeatedly during gaming (normal usage). Confirmed it with HWMonitor. GPU have acceptable temps.

During some tests I noticed that there was only good air flow from one side of the computer, so I downloaded SpeedFan and sure enough, during stress testing with games (GPU+CPU) and Prime95 (CPU) only one fan increases in RPM (up to 4000 while the other sits at 100-200) while the temps is at 90-100, instead of increasing the second fan speed it throttles the CPU.

During gaming the load isn't even that high. Maybe 40-50%. During "idle" (0-20%) the CPU reaches 70-80 C but mostly stays at 45-50 C.

So, how do I enable the second fan? Or should I just return it?

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

I have the same Laptop and exactly the same issues.

Ihope HP have a solution for this.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

I am not an HP employee.

I would touch base with HP Support on this. 97 to 100 degrees Celsius is not good for the processor. This will kill the useful service life of this chip.

Have you checked the BIOS for any fan speed tweaking settings?

At this time there is no new BIOS update.

The only BIOS download listed here is the original BIOS release (see "Fixes").

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply!

I have turned off Turbo for the moment and the temp is max 65c

I wait for a sulotion and i have 2 years warranty.

HP Recommended

Hi BergLake,

Sounds good.

I am not a fan of doing much overclocking. It pushes the system and creates heat. All OEMs warn against doing this and it could void the warranty.

Did HP have Turbo enabled by default?

That will stress the CPU when running Prime 95 or Intel's XTU.

Tom

HP Recommended

All I7 8750H has a Turbo by default.

Yes HP has it on by default.

HP Recommended

I received my Omen 17 yesterday. Installed 3DMark Advanced Suite and Yup! Max temps hit 92-98 C when running the benchmarks. Average temps during the runs are in the 60-69 C range so don't know how long the max temps are hit, but during the CPU tests you can hear the fans getting real loud at the end of the runs.

As mentioned by the other poster the GPU temps on the Geforce GTX 1060 are fine, and don't get over 75 C. Usually the issue is with GPU temps on these Nvidia cards, so it's unusual the problem with the Omen HP are CPU temps, especially since the 2018 Omen has a revamped chassis with supposedly improved CPU/GPU cooling!

Berglake, how do you disable Turbo mode on the I7-8750?

HP Recommended

Hello Clevor.

You can disable Turbo mode by choose power saver in Power Plans and change Max cpu to 99%.

In this mode it runs slower but hits max 63c.

Greetings from Sweden.

HP Recommended

Interesting. Is it maximum processor state you're referring to? I changed that to 70%, still 98-100C. Changed to 50% but haven't stress tested that by gaming (still hits 90 degrees when CPU load is 40%).

The only cooling option in BIOS is "Fan Speed Always On" which is disabled by default. I enabled it, didn't make a difference.

HP Recommended

Hello!

Are you sure you have changed power plan to energy saver plan? and then type 99%.

It works for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.