Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp omen 15-5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

So I bought this second hand HP Omen, all is fine so far (fixed my random hangs issue) and I installed windows 10 on it. The laptop came with a nonHP power adapter so I just went on an ordered an original one. When I plug in my old non-original adapter the laptop charges and I get the error:

"The Smart AC Adapter connected will power your computer, but potentially at a reduced performance level. Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected.  Resource intensive tasks may cause your system not to perform at its highest level with a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter.  Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter for full performance."

With the new one, I get the same error, just that now my laptop does not charge any longer, it says "Plugged in, not charging". I googled this error and some forums recommend reinstalling microsoft ACPL battery controller (or something similar to what I said). They recommended doing it with battery removed but I cannot do that on my Omen so I tried without. It's the same.

Other information: With the power cord in the white light is always on so from what I read that is a good sign the adapter is good. I ran the HP diagnostic tool on the battery and it had positive results.

Any ideea what I could try next ? Could it be a faulty adapter or maybe the old nonHP adapter messed up with my battery and now the original won't work ?

Thanks

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Any help would be apreciated (The laptop charges with the original one when not powered)

HP Recommended
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I'm currently dealing with my own 2nd hand hp omen that the previous owner was using the wrong adapter now it won't charge with a genuine one. It's frustrating to say the least.
HP Recommended

@Sirocco44

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that your HP Omen notebook is not charging.

I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern: 

• Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 
  • Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 
  • Test the AC adapter using the UEFI Hardware Diagnostic tests.
  • Reinstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 
  • Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

Click here and follow the document to perform above-mentioned steps.

Let me know how it goes.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution accepted and kudos buttons,

that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi can or cannot use HP OMEN 15 if i remove the battery only power adapter..
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.