Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen DC0088NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just recently purchased a new HP Omen laptop a couple days ago and noticed something that I wonder if I should be concerned about.

On my second day of owning the laptop, I tried gaming on the battery without the AC plugged in to test it out. After the battery drained down to 30%ish, I plugged it in to charge. I then recieved a "plugged in, not charging" message. So, I turn the laptop completely off but the light is white as if its fully charged.(now it is still very hot at this point from a gaming session). So, I turn it back on and still get the same message. Then, after letting it cool down for a bit (5-10min), I notice it started charging again. 

So my question is this a normal occurence with HP omen gaming laptops? Like is there a thermal protector for the battery that will keep it from charging when its hot?

Also, I have my BIOS & all drivers updated.

Battery check- ok

AC adapter check - passed

Battery only has 6 charge cycles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@NotSoLoud 

Product: 

4WW41UA OMEN by HP - 15-dc0088nr

Product introduced November 2018

Notebook, including one made for gaming, is not going to provide best service when gaming on battery.

Yes, it is possible (in my opinion) that thermal protections include not charging the battery when the unit is already overheated.

New computer should work to specifications, of course - if you think something is not working to spec or if you have questions about the exact circumstances, contact HP Technical Support in your region to ask the questions you have about the hardware.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

OMEN by HP - 15-dc0088nr

User Guide > Chapter 6 - Managing Power - starting on page 30

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@NotSoLoud 

Product: 

4WW41UA OMEN by HP - 15-dc0088nr

Product introduced November 2018

Notebook, including one made for gaming, is not going to provide best service when gaming on battery.

Yes, it is possible (in my opinion) that thermal protections include not charging the battery when the unit is already overheated.

New computer should work to specifications, of course - if you think something is not working to spec or if you have questions about the exact circumstances, contact HP Technical Support in your region to ask the questions you have about the hardware.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

OMEN by HP - 15-dc0088nr

User Guide > Chapter 6 - Managing Power - starting on page 30

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the resonse. It appears that it's a normal thing. 

I called HP Support and they informed me that there is a thermal protector for the battery. So, when the laptop is cool it charges just fine, but when its really hot after gaming it says "plugged in, not charging" and that's normal apparently.

HP Recommended

@NotSoLoud 

You are welcome.

Certainly makes sense that the thermal protection includes the charge system.  Thanks for verifying that this is indeed the case.

Happy Computing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.