Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

@whoisAEK You can try to install Windows 7. It's a temporary "fix" but It solves storahci bug 😕

HP Recommended

I seriously want to install Windows 7, but I have no clue if the drivers will work properly, if at all. 

HP Recommended

What I don't understand is the following:

- Dozens of users/Threads are begging/crying for help in this case

- The laptop is very expensive and the first of it's kind (new gaming brand)

- HP should be able to fix the error with a SW Update (may it be BIOS, SSD FW Update, Chipset update or whatever) as there are multiple users reporting the same Problem.

- The Problem is not there with Windows 7. (Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 use other SATA drivers (msahci/storahci))

- In 5 Threads not even 1 HP representative is answering

- HP is missing in this support forum

- I'm absolutely pissed, i feel really alone here - you keep ignoring us!

EDIT: @whoisAEK - Look at: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Event-ID-129-storahci-followed-by-153-ca...

@BaronMunchausen installed Windows 7. Maybe you can ask him about the drivers he installed.

Remember: The installation of Windows 7 can't be the solution, Hp need's to act!

HP Recommended

I'm going to try Windows 7.  If I can get it working, No way am I changing back to Windows 8.

HP Recommended

Did you have success with Windows 7?

I do have an other question. I'm waiting for a fix as well but I was thinking about the size of the SSD.

Would the new Samsung SSD SM951-NVMe 512GB, M.2 (MZVPV512HDGL-00000) fit in the Omen?

It's a M.2 2280. I'm not sure if a 2280 fit's in the Omen, does anyone know more about that?

Datasheet: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04490401

Single M.2 SSD configuration as storage:
● 512 GB, MLC, PCIe, M.2.2280
● 256 GB, MLC, PCIe, M.2.2260
● 128 GB, TLC, SATA, M.2.2280

The 512GB SSD is an 2280, the 256 a 2260, but i think HP used the same Mobo's?

HP Recommended

The only thing that doesn't work is the on-screen volume notification (which is a Windows 7 thing), and I need to re-install one of the drivers because I didn't have C++ 2010 installed when I tried to install the driver.  Other than that, everything works.  WiFi didn't work out the box until I downloaded the Intel 7260a/c drivers from Intel, and Windows 7 found and downloaded my Ethernet drivers.  You can't have WiFi on and ethernet at the same time.  If one is on, the other is off.

Fan control is fine (do a BIOS update), Omen Control is fine (install C++2010 first), bluetooth is fine (came with the 7260a/c driver, literally the first driver you should download before even installing Windows 7), Omen Control works fine, the Nvidia drivers of course work, USB works, everything works.  Matter of fact, I might not ever go back to Windows 8.1.

HP Recommended

Nobody want's to go back to 8.1 but Windows 10 does have a better performance, Direct X 12, etc. etc. than Windows 7 😞

But glad to hear everything seems to work under Windows 7.

HP Recommended

Windows 10 actually gave me slightly slower results for my SSD, and you won't see a game utilize DirectX 12 for at least another year.  You also won't see GPUs that'll fully utilize DX12 until then.  Your 860m/960m (whichever Omen you have) won't even fully support DX12.  Don't buy into the hype.

HP Recommended

Oh - it gave you slower results? It's just that i like the look and feel of Windows 10. Touch makes more fun than under Windows 7. Actually i might replace the SSD with the new NVME Version of Samsung ( SM951-NVMe 512GB, M.2 (MZVPV512HDGL-00000)). Have you replaced your's? But still - I'm staying on my point - HP needs to fix the issue under Windows 10. That's a must.

HP Recommended

I haven't.  I'm thinking about replacing it anyway due to 256GB not being enough comfortable storage for me.  But I do agree they really need to fix that issue.  I actually didn't have it until I did a clean install of Windows 8.1, which is why I think there is something VERY important in the recovery partition that can't be downloaded from the drivers page.  I want someone with a recovery partition from HP (either you made it from your SSD or bought it like I did) to try restoring from it instead of doing something else.

Kinda doesn't matter since thanks to DreamSpark, I'm upgrading to Windows 7 Professional for free 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.