Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Gaming Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello everyone. My name is Brandon. I just purchased an HP Pavilion 15 Gaming Laptop about four or five months ago. It was a display model from Walmart.  It has been running perfect for up to the last month. Running Destiny 2 and many other Xbox One Games. One night, I shut down my computer for the night. Got up the next morning to play some games, and it was literally stuck in some kind of boot loop. It stays right in the HP Logo Start-Up Screen and stays there. I thought it was my hard drive. But I did extensive tests on all of my hardware and everything passed. Not one failure. I even tried creating a bootable USB since my laptop doesn’t have a CD-Rom drive. And when I go to, manually install. It tells me that it can not locate my drive. And when I start up my laptop, and hit f11 to run my own laptop recovery options. The loop won’t even let me load up that screen on my own. I try to use the recovery options on the USB and I get nothing but errors about not being able to find a drive. I need help. It was working so well. And now I’m literally stuck. I can provide pictures. Please someone help me get this figured because HP are saying that the warranty has ran out because Walmart was using it as a store display. Which I find absolutely wrong. Thank you. Whoever comes to help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, good news. It might not have been from you that helped me fix it. But you helped to point me in the right direction. I fixed my laptop about ten mins ago. I had to disable “RAID” on my hard drive in BIOS. Now everything is back to normal. Like a brand new laptop. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Wow sorry to hear about your trouble. Really sucks that they can't honour the warranty?

HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

You should get an error code of 24 characters.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Make, Model and OS please.
SKU: if possible 
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

Matching products for United Kingdom (7)

Please do not post Serial Numbers.

HP Recommended

Model: HP Pavilion 15 Gaming Laptop 15-cx0xxx

Not sure how to find the SKU. 
I have the product ID, looks like the SKU you posted. I could post after if it’s important. 

As for hardware testing.

Processor: Passed

Memory: Passed

Hard Drive: Passed

Keyboard: Passed

Audio: Passed

Network: Passed

System Board: Passed

USB Port: Passed

Video: Passed

Webcam: Passed

Wireless module: Passed

System Fast Test: Everything Passed

HP Recommended

Hi

So if all the hardware passes, then it is software/firmware that needs attention.

Use your W10 Recovery Media and try 

W8 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

From 2016 onwards there is a possible recovery option via the cloud...
HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 7 & 10)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205
owsclub.com/install-windows-10-from-usb

HP Recommended

I get into the recovery options. And here is the problem. I try every option and it gives me some kind of error. The main one I try is System Image Recovery because I have the Windows 10 ISO on this usb. It tells me that Windows can not find an image on this computer. It won’t let me choose from my USB. It tells me to download a driver for the backup device if it does not show on the list. Which it doesn’t. I don’t know why I keep getting errors. 

HP Recommended

OK.

You have a USB with a file structure like this?

X:\>dir
Volume in drive X is Recovery
Volume Serial Number is CEB2-4012

Directory of X:\

09/09/2019 16:24 128 autorun.inf
30/08/2019 16:41 2,411 BackupWindowsKey.vbs
26/09/2019 11:08 <DIR> boot
09/09/2019 18:44 409,654 bootmgr
09/09/2019 18:44 1,509,688 bootmgr.efi
26/09/2019 11:08 <DIR> efi
09/08/2018 15:55 <DIR> HP_Drvrs
09/09/2019 18:44 73,904 setup.exe
26/09/2019 11:13 <DIR> sources
26/09/2019 11:13 <DIR> support
30/08/2019 16:41 2,411 WinProdKey.vbs

I added the HP-Drvrs and ProdKey files myself.

So what are you actually trying to achieve?

Log to X: and do a DIR listing

Log to C: and do a DIR listing

Post the results.

HP Recommended

Nice to see someone helping out!! 

HP Recommended

Well, good news. It might not have been from you that helped me fix it. But you helped to point me in the right direction. I fixed my laptop about ten mins ago. I had to disable “RAID” on my hard drive in BIOS. Now everything is back to normal. Like a brand new laptop. 

HP Recommended

Hey that's awesome you got it fixed!! I have been looking at 2019 Pavilion gaming laptop for awhile now trying to find the best configuration for the best price. I am also looking at Acer nitro 5 and Asus Gl531. Nitro 5 has really dropped in price making it a few hundred dollars less than the Pavilion. Nitro 5 can run Raid 0 with its dual M.2 slots it also has a better screen. Going to research more tonight to see what others think.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.