Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-ak032ng Energy Star
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Notebook HP Pavilion 15-ak032ng ENERGY STAR has massive fps drops while playing games. My settings are on the lowest possible and my pc is not overheating. Also I updated everything I could and even cleaned the fan. The Problem is that my Notebook is able to get on 60 FPS while playing for about 10 seconds. Then the FPS drop on about 20 for the next 20 seconds. And until a month ago everything was doing just fine. My reference game is Fortnite BR. The game ran with 90 fps until about a month ago. Then it started to drop the fps really low. But sometimes, like I said, it still climbs up to 60 and holds it for about 10 seconds just fine... Thank you for your help in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Tjarkk7

I would look to see if the system is setting the switchable graphics to the integrated video and not the dedicated 950.

Go into the nvidia control panel and see what it is set at.

You can set it to alway run the Nvidia card, or choose by individual programs.

Screenshot_2018-10-26 Re Hp omen laptop is lagging.png

HP Recommended

Thank you for the fast response! But it didn´t actually help...

Also there is a process called Desktop Windows Manager which consumes 50 percent of my cpu and 80 of my gpu. But I cant disable it because otherwise the pc shuts down

HP Recommended

OK that was going to be my next question. Whats running in the background.

There are several articles on what to do for high Desktop Windows Manager usage.

Here is a good one, take a look at it explaining how to disable services with a clean boot and also how to disable the service all together. Try this before doing the ultimate fix of reinstalling Windows...

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/desktop-window-manager-dwm-exe

HP Recommended

Thanks man. I’ll try it out tomorrow!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.