Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ec1000ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

Recently I upgraded memory to Crucial BL2K8G32C16S4B 16 Gb Kit DDR-3200 (https://www.crucial.in/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16s4b/ct18701753) it is listed as compatible with Pavilion 15-ec1000ur on Crucial site (https://www.crucial.in/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-15-ec1000ur) and works fine but on 2667 MHz instead of documented 3200 MHz. HP Support assistant software can't recognize memory modules (Micron). I believe this is the problem. Do I need to wait new BIOS hoping HP to add support for this memory kit or there is no chance to run it on 3200 MHz?

Russian support refers to old documentation and gives me answer that no support for DDR-3200 on this model several times, even after I send screenshots with 8 Gb Kit (Works on 3200 MHz).

Any suggestioins?

Thanks for answers and sorry for my terrible English 😃

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MrCAI 

The service guides are usually made for the complete family of the computer series so it lists all the processors and parts used by all the models.

The number of channels isn’t a property of the RAM itself, but rather one of your CPU’s memory controller (which is integrated in modern CPUs). Some memory kits are specifically marketed a dual, triple or quad channel kits, but all that means is that the manufacturer has validated those sticks to work together; not that there’s anything special about those DIMMs.

A CPU capable of using dual-channel memory just means that it can read/write data from two separate DIMMs simultaneously (128bit databus). The CPU contains the hardware necessary to do that; RAM is fairly “dumb” circuitry and will obey access requests regardless of if another nearby stick is also being asked for something.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MrCAI Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with new memory.

Please perform the memory test and check.

Memory test  

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to Component test.  

5) From the list, run the Memory (extensive) test.  

Please install the new memory and remove the old one and check.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank You for answer!

Memory works fine but on lower frequency - 2667 MHz instead of 3200 MHz. By documentations 3200 MHz supported both by laptop and Memory modules. Laptop didn't recognize memory manufaturer and mode in BIOS and set lower frequency.

HP Support Assistant screenshots:

16 Gb Kit:

hp3-highlight.png

8 Gb Kit (was in laptop when I bought it):

hp2-highlight.png

HP Recommended

@MrCAI 

Have you configured the new RAM for the dual channel? If yes, then the RAM speed you are getting is correct and it is by design.

Below is the RAM configuration for your computer.

DDR4-2400 dual channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to DDR4-2400)

Refer to the below service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for answer, but I still have questions:

1. Is this manual applicable for 15-ec1000ur? On page 1 I see "Model numbers: 15-ec0xxx, 15z-ec00" (older models with older CPU) not 15-ec1xxx.

2. Why 8 Gb kit (2 * 4 Gb) runs on 3200 MHz while 16 Gb kit (2 * 8 Gb) runs on 2667 Mhz? This fact confusing me.

3. "Have you configured the new RAM for the dual channel? " -> How can I configure Single channel/Dual channel mode? Single module = single channel, 2 modules = dual channel, am I right? I can't see any respective options in BIOS. And I still wonder how 8 Gb kit runs on 3200 MHz...

HP Recommended

@MrCAI 

The service guides are usually made for the complete family of the computer series so it lists all the processors and parts used by all the models.

The number of channels isn’t a property of the RAM itself, but rather one of your CPU’s memory controller (which is integrated in modern CPUs). Some memory kits are specifically marketed a dual, triple or quad channel kits, but all that means is that the manufacturer has validated those sticks to work together; not that there’s anything special about those DIMMs.

A CPU capable of using dual-channel memory just means that it can read/write data from two separate DIMMs simultaneously (128bit databus). The CPU contains the hardware necessary to do that; RAM is fairly “dumb” circuitry and will obey access requests regardless of if another nearby stick is also being asked for something.

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.