Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0xxx or cx0133TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone

I recently upgraded my laptop to (according to system information in the Settings) an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop (15-cx0xxx or cx0133TX as it was known in the store) however I am having an issue with it. The laptop appears to lag quite considerably at random times every few minutes, rendering the laptop virtually unusable. Most of the time when this occurs, I'm not gaming or doing anything intensive, so nothing seems to trigger this. I've had it for just over a week and this lag seems to have started in the past few days, maybe two or so. I purchased this laptop for increased performance and it unfortunately seems to perform even worse than my old laptop, which is currently around 2 to 3 years old and I have had to revert to using that. There was a lull in the lag for a few days and the laptop functioned as normal, it has since returned and I fear it will keep doing so until a fix is found. Continually, while this lag renders basic tasks such as searching the web incredibly frustrating, it makes playing games downright impossible. 

I've tried several remedies, including updating drivers, which was successful, however it did nothing to solve this issue. I have also disabled all unnecessary startup programs and searched the Task Manager for suspicious activity, to no avail. Furthermore, I have installed Trend Micro antivirus and run a scan, which came to the conclusion that my PC was free of viruses, another cause I had suspected. The BIOS has been updated too, while all pending updates via the HP support assistant have been completed as of writing. 

The following is the full specifications of this model laptop

15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit display

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H 6-core processor (9 MB SmartCache, 2.2GHz up to 4.1 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

12GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)

1TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD

256GB SSD

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX1050Ti 4GB GFX

Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo

Multi-format SD media card reader

1 x HDMI 1.4

Headphone/microphone combo port

1 x USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s)

2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only)

HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone

B&O PLAY, dual speakers, HP Audio Boost

3-cell, 52.5 Wh Li-ion polymer battery

Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

If there's anything I could do to help get to the root of this issue, please let me know. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Vidarkek

Which games are causing these issues and are they online games or installed on your PC? 

In the meantime, you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community:)

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Vidarkek

Which games are causing these issues and are they online games or installed on your PC? 

In the meantime, you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community:)

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me, I took the steps you suggested and that seems to have solved the issue 😀

HP Recommended

@Vidarkek That's awesome, I'm glad it worked out for you and if you need anything else, feel free to write to us,

Take care and have an awesome day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.