Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0096wm
Microsoft Windows 11

In June, I bought my laptop, used, off of someone. The model is: HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0096wm

When trying to do anything mildy high end with the graphics driver, it crashed and gave me the error message "Video Drivers Crashed and Was Reset!"

I had originally contacted HP support but they were no help since they claimed that my Laptop had the graphics card (GTX 1650) installed after the laptop was purchased and therefore the warranty was useless. Obviously the laptop came with it seeing as how the laptop is a gaming laptop, and it comes with a box that states that it literally has the 1650 already installed. 

Anyways, I've tried to accomplish so many work arounds but to no avail. I have tried using the "SystemPropertiesAdvanced" to lower the processing power needed by the GPU for windows. I have tried increasing the "TdrDelay" to 8 of which that does not work either. Updating and Resetting the BIOS also didn't work, and factory resetting my computer wasn't any help either. 

I should also mention that I do have the correct Video Driver from HP installed, and that I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well as using DDU. I also found that I couldn't roll back the driver from when I bought it in June because it was factory reset and as a result there were no previous drivers to revert back to. I've tried using the drivers straight from NVIDIA as well, but they don't work either.

I'm at a loss at this point... HP support has done little for me other than refer me to paying $100 dollars, which is a lot for a technical issue that seems to be with the device itself and not of my own doing. The only work around I have found is to have my frames be below 50, no matter what game I play, and all games have to be on the lowest settings. At that point, I can play moderate to low end games. I will also add that whenever the message does appear, in order to restore the driver, I restart my computer to a "blue screen of death" and then I shut it down, reboot, and it will reappear. 

Does anyone have a solution to this? I've tried googling so much information but all of it has done very little to help me. It's too late to use the warranty, and I was too afraid of wasting my time with HP support in fear that they wouldn't end up sending a new one anyways because of the excuse above. The guy I bought it off of likely sold it to me knowing it wasn't good, and I likely got scammed in that regard. There's no way I could've known though, and I don't want to be like him and scam someone else. I'm not like that. I want to fix the problem here and now, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi@nebsmailliw, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Apologize for the issue with the display. We understand it's a Gaming notebook lets try a few troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.

Check for the BIOS Update?

Tried Adding the game to High performances in the Nivida control panel?

Download GEFORCE EXPERIENCE updates the gaming drivers.

Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running.

Press the Windows key and G to open the Game bar.

In the game bar, click Settings.

Click the check box next to the game title to enable Game Mode for that game.

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hello @Praveenbv

I have updated the BIOS yes, so that unfortunately didn't fix the issue.

I have tried adding "high performance" to all the video games I've played and that sadly hasn't worked either.

GEFORCE EXPERIENCE has been installed the entire time I've had it and it has stated that my drivers are all up to date, but that still hasn't fixed the issue.

I have also tried enabling game mode for my games and that hasn't worked.

I have also plugged in the AC adapter which does help boost performance, but only on the level that I have currently set. Right now I have my games running at 45 frames, and when I unplug it, it goes down to 30 frames. But I always have it plugged in, and it still crashes even while it is plugged in giving the computer power.

Are there any other solutions? Unfortunately none of these have been able to resolve my error with my PC. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi@nebsmailliw,

Find out your current fps

Finding the frame rate your graphics system can muster isn't much more difficult, but there are several different ways to do it depending upon which games you play:

Advertisement

• Many games can display the frame rate as an overlay during gameplay. To turn this on, check the video settings in your game's setup or settings menu.
  • If you use an Nvidia GeForce graphics card with the GeForce Experience software, you can turn on the in-game overlay while playing a game. You can configure the overlay to show the frame rate in a corner of the screen. To enable it, start the GeForce Experience app and click "Settings" in the In-Game Overlay section, then click "HUD Layout" and add the fps counter to the corner of your choice.

7 ways to increase your computer's frames per second, or fps, and improve its gaming performance

Nvidia's GeForce Experience is one of several places you can find the frame rate in games.

• If you play Steam games, you can turn on a frame rate counter in the Steam in-game overlay as well. To do that, start the Steam app and click the "Steam" menu. In the drop-down menu, click "Settings" and then choose "In-Game" from the navigation pane on the left. In the "In-game FPS" counter section, choose where you want the fps counter to appear and then click "OK."
  • You can use the free utility called Fraps to measure your frame rate in any game.

After you know your PC's frame rate (and how it compares to your monitor's refresh rate), you can try any of these tricks to increase your computer's performance.

Optimize your game settings

Every game is different, but if your frame rate is too low, you can enter your game's settings screen and dial down the image quality. There might be a single switch you can throw to change the image quality from "high" to "medium," for example, or you might need to set individual settings for viewing distance, shadows, texture effects, and so on.

7 ways to increase your computer's frames per second, or fps, and improve its gaming performance

HP Recommended

Hey @Praveenbv

So after some troubleshooting, the max frame rate that most games can go without my graphics drivers crashing is around 50. That amount will lower depending on the game, i.e. minecraft could run 55 max frames, but sea of thieves can only run max 45, if that makes sense?

I don't know my computer's refresh rate however. How can I check that?

Also, I have most of my games at low graphics settings which does help improve FPS, but having low FPS and high graphics or high FPS and low graphics crashes my video drivers regardless. I have to have them both at the same time in order for my drivers to not crash.

That's the main problem, since the GTX 1650 should be capable of handling higher graphics and FPS, but for whatever reason it seems to crash when the FPS or graphics settings are turned up higher. 

HP Recommended

Hi@nebsmailliw

Check for the Operating system to Windows 11, which has the option to increase FPS. 

HP Recommended

@Praveenbv

So I did check the OS for Windows 11, and while I am able to "increase the fps" it sadly does not solve the problem of the NVIDIA driver crashing as a result. Ultimately, I could always increase the amount of FPS I can go to, and I have seen it capable of getting to around 90 fps on decent graphics, but the root of the problem still lies in that I can only hold that for about 10 seconds - 60 seconds before the video driver crashes. 

Do you have any solutions the video driver itself, besides the ones above? That seems to definitely be the problem, not so much the FPS itself. Having high FPS is possible for my computer, the driver just crashes for whatever reason when the GPU is being used. But as stated above, increasing the amount of time the GPU has to process, updating the BIOS, etc. etc., has done little to help that. 

So with that in mind, what do you think are some other possible solutions to the crashing driver?

HP Recommended

Hi@nebsmailliw,

`We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to be checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.