Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Well unfortunatelly i phoned them 32 days after purchase date !
So i have to wait for support do find out whats wrong with it and then its up to them if i get replacement .
So far its been week since i phoned and still no update so god know whats going on.
HP Recommended

@IanMcGreishwrote:

You can download the Radeon settings update from here: 

Intel Radeon Settings drivers

I'm unsure about what causes the error but users shouldn't be required to undervolt their system to make it usable. I got a replacement from HP and it works flawlessly which is why I suggest any user with a BSOD VIDEO_TDR_ERROR should request a replacement like I did rather than living with the problem on what is a very expensive laptop, so such errors are inexcusable.

When you say it works flawlessly, how hard have you stressed it out? Have you played many games, if so, for how long? Can you describe how hot the laptop gets to the touch above the keyboard area?

If you actually have stress-tested a replacement unit and it doesn't stutter (extreme FPS drop) in a game, and you don't BSOD anymore, without undervolting-- then maybe I will actually return mine. I still have a few days left to do so, so any more info for how hard you stress-tested/gamed would really help me make the right decision.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I've not done a stress test on my new device. Mostly down to my older device wouldn't get a BSOD during a stress test only when playing an actual game E.G GTA V. Games on my new device instantly ran A LOT BETTER. I'm mostly speaking of GTA V which isn't the most demanding game but was the main source of my problems with VIDEO_TDR_ERROR on my original device.

There is never a delay when playing on my new device besides once in forever and only for a second or two (drop in frames). I have played GTA V for an hour to two hours straight and not had any problems at all. I've not really played anything other than GTA but since that's where I had issues and it's not one I've had at all on my replacement model I've assumed that doesn't share the same fault. Just to clarify I play at 1080p/High settings as of course any game will run horribly at 4K on this laptop. The only evidence I really have is my word really.

I hated being in the situation of having to return the laptop but I wasn't going to be stuck with an underwhelming laptop that crashes for the price it cost me. I was going to buy another laptop completely but when I was offered a replacement I thought I'd just see how it goes and get a refund if it has the same issue, which it definitely doesn't have the same issues so I stuck with it.

I don't know anything about undervolting but nobody should have to lower their system voltage to be able to have it run as expected. I've not exactly covered myself in all areas to be sure there is absolutely no problems or even if a modern 2018 title would cause it to crash (though I might just out of the worry that it does now) but I definitely encourage that you seek a replacement while you still can or else you will be stuck spending ages trying to get HP find you a solution, if undervolting isnt already a fix though I'd expect from what it sounds it slightly decreases performance.

HP Recommended

HP is sending me recovery disk to completely factory reset the pc.

They said that some files might have been corrupted when pc was originally set up.

If that will not help then they will arrange collection for the laptop to be repaired by hp. 

HP Recommended

June 21 - Took delivery of my 15" x360 with 8705 and Vega.  Nice and fast.

Applied the HP Support updates a few days later.  Vega driver update failed some three times.  The next day M$ update also failed to install video drivers.  Grave me a nice big message stating the Group Policy settings set by your organization excluded the drivers from Windows quality updates.  Source Administrator.

Say what??  Being an old MCSE (win2k and NTServer) I said no way.  Beside this new PC is NOT in a domain, it si in my "workgroup",,Checking group policy settings confirmed there are no exclusions.  Also check the registry.  Again, No exclusions.

Opened a chat call with support in India.  Nice guy, first level support person.  He tried the driver update per the HP Support assistant, then a forced update from M$.  The attempted to force drivers from Intel/AMD.

All attempts failed.  The only success he had was changing my background settings to all black (not what I wanted).

Called HP Support.  Provided the case number.  This person also remoted in to the PC, didn't matter what he did.  Of course, both techs told me my call was being sent to HP engineering support.  Did I mentioned that I worked for HP over 20 years and opened their first international helpdesk...

So, I know this call is lost in space unless I continue to hound them.  

Opened a chat service call today, sent them a screenshot from the Setting, Advance display settings that shows the only active GPU is the Intel 630.  Told them to update my original service call with the screen shot and that I wanted a status update or a RA# to return the PC.  Got to get on record before the 30 days is up.  

Started searching the web for others with "Vega GPU not working on HP Spectre"  and found this thread.  Am posting as I believe all of us have a related Vega driver issue that HP has yet to resolve.  While it may show up differently, it all comes down to the drivers.

Just as a side note.  Also checked GPU(s) usage in the Task Manager (see last enclosed screenshot).  This shows the 630 in use, not much load and no Vega.  The Vega GPU should be operating when this PC is plugged in.  It is NOT.  Don't know why.  Perhaps the few aps running aren't enough load.  My old PC, an I7, second generation with GPU would not operate the performance GPU when on battery, and always used the second GPU when plugged in.  Based on everything I am seeing, it does not appear the PC is sensing the second GPU or HP has locked it out.

Display Settings.PNGGroupPolicyRestriction.PNGTaskMgrGPU2.PNGDeviceMgr.PNG

HP Recommended

Just a quick follow-up to my last post.   I read in the postings a recommendation to check the System settings within the Radeon VEGA configuration under the Switchable Graphics.  In looking in the more...Installed Profiled Applications I found lots of preinstalled software entries for software not even on this PC.  And for each is a configuration option. of Power Saving, High Performance, and Based on Power Source.  Some of the common apps such as Chrome.exe have a lock set on them such that you can not change the settings.  In this case Chrome is set to power saving.  While others you can configure.  I set PhotoShop to High Performance and opened it.  The Radeon monitor in the Task Manager perfornace did not move.  However upon opening a large JPG and it in fact hit 5% then it dropped back to zero.  So I know the processor actually is enabled, which is contrary to my statements about it being licked out.  Appears only loading driver updates is locked out on my new Spectre 15.

RadeonSwitchableGraphicsAppSettingsOverview.PNGRadeonSwitchableGraphics.PNG

HP Recommended

So my lapop was collected for repair few weeks ago and now i have it back and it has been fixed !

The reason for tdr video failure was faulty motherboad .

It says on my repair report that they had to replace it!

Now i dont get the error anymore and all games run flawlessly on stable FPS .

So i suggest for others with same issue that waiting for driver update will be pointless as it is clearly hardware issue !

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting your fix on this. 

HP Recommended
Hi, glad to hear your problem was fixed.

Can you comment on whether your replacement has any serious frame drops during intense gaming?

My CPU drops to 0.8GHz ever 30 minutes or so in DOOM
HP Recommended

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27881/Graphics-Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics?v=t

- this is the latest software version for Radeon Vega M Graphic.

18.6.1 - latest version Radeon Settings (Software) and

24.20.11021.1000 - latest version of the video card driver (released 7 june 2018).

After the update, do not click the "update driver" button in the "Device Manager"(!!!!!!) because after that it finds and installs the old driver (January 2018 version)

Без имени.jpgБез имени1.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.