Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a Thunderbolt 120W dock in use with my HP Omen 16 laptop.

I have connected the two devices with a USB-C cable.  I also connect the laptop's power cable.

With the lid open, the power button on the dock will sleep and wake the laptop.  With the lid closed, however, it will not.

Do I need to use a Thunderbolt cable to connect the two devices?  I have seen other conversations about updating the thunderbolt firmware and setting sleep settings on the device, but I don't see any such settings, perhaps because I am not using a thunderbolt connection?  It seems odd it would work with the lid open but not with it closed.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@DanP91 

What is your Omni 16 laptop ? Please use System Info to get its System SKU. For example

sysmode.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Here is the information you requested:

DanP91_0-1649909893648.png

HP Recommended

@DanP91 

Sorry, characters on image too blurry, I can't read its SKU, but looks like it is an HP Omen (not Omni). Normally Omen machines use at least 150W charger, HP Thunderbolt 120W is

• Too weak
  • Not compatible with Omen machines.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, Omen...not sure where I got Omni, maybe my computer helped me spell-check.

Anyway, yes, an Omen 16.

I also have the Omen's power 200W adaptor connected, so I am not depending on the USB-C connection for power, just to connect to the peripherals, video and ideally be able to sleep and wake the laptop with the lid closed.

So this dock isn't compatible with Omen machines and won't sleep and wake my laptop?

HP Recommended

@DanP91 

The  HP Thunderbolt™ Dock 120W G2  is compatible with the following machines

HP Elite x2 1012 G1, G2, G4
HP Elite x2 1013 G1, G4
HP Pro x2 612 G2
HP EliteBook Folio G1
HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2, G3, G4, G7
HP EliteBook x360 1040 G5, G6, G7
HP Elitebook 1020 G2
HP EliteBook 1040 G4
HP EliteBook 1030 G4
HP EliteBook 800 series G5, G6, G7, G8
HP EliteBook HC G5, G6
HP EliteBook x360 830 G6, G7
HP EliteBook 700 series G5, G6
HP ProBook 640 G4, G5, G7,
HP ProBook 645 G4
HP ProBook 650 G5, G7, G8
HP ProBook 400 series G5, G6, G7
HP ProBook x360 435 G7
HP ZBook x2 G4
HP ZBook 14u G1, G5
HP ZBook 15u G3, G5, G7
HP ZBook Firefly 14 G7, G8

HP ZBook Firefly 15 G7, G8
HP Zbook 17 G3
HP ZHAN 66 Pro series G1, G2, G3, G4
HP ZHAN Pro 13, 14, 15 G2
HP ZAHN X13 G2

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

So this dock is not compatible with the Omen machines.

Any idea why the sleep and wake function if the lid is open?  Right now, I am using the laptop with the lid slightly open and the wake/sleep works fine.  That isn't ideal; I bought a little stand for the laptop to stand in but I guess I can leave the lid open if I must.

Surprising an HP dock would be considered not compatible with a new HP laptop.

HP Recommended

@DanP91 wrote:

.... Surprising an HP dock would be considered not compatible with a new HP laptop.

@DanP91 

Did you read the list above ?  They are all HP machines.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Yes, BH, I read the list.  My HP Omen 16 is also an HP with which this HP dock is not compatible.  That surprises me.

HP Recommended

@DanP91 

The Thunder Bolt 230W may work. I have not tested it on my HP Omen (with 200W PSU). I used to work next to Build and Test room of a company but I'm a retiree now.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.